Can anyone recommend me a high quality lock de icer?

Jerry

I've got one of these and it sort of does the job but it's pretty cheap and plasticky.

Lock-De-icer_20090739934.jpg

I'm looking for somewhere I can get an upmarket version of the same thing that won't fall apart in 10 minutes.

What I really need is a supercharged one cos my blue truck loves to refuse to let me in regularly during the winter :yes: "I couldn't get into the car,,,,,,,,again" is wearing thin on the boss :roll:

Is there something (silicon spray?) I can blast into the lock to stop it icing up in the first place? I've tried the little bottles of isopropyl but it doesn't work for my locks.

Or do I have to pull the door apart and grease up the mechanisms to stop the ice?

:cheers: in advance :wrench:

insert blank key before lock iced over, use lighter to heat key blank that is frozen in lock, heat will be transferred via the key into the lock :yes:

how does your gizmo work? I don't get iced out often on the Alabama Gulf Coast

Good idea! Reckon I can figure out some method to transfer heat to the blank with electrikery :thumbsup:

The gadget has a couple of batteries in it that somehow warm up a thin piece of metal that slides out from it like in this pic. I guess the metal bit is like a resistor? It works but it's real slow and the batteries run out quick.

28548-lock_de_icer_keychain.jpg

Pour water on your windshield in winter in BC and you ain't gonna get it off until spring thaw. As for the lock, I heat the key with a propane torch,then insert into the lock. In the old days when people were smokers, we used a Zippo lighter. Get a can of ether, starting fluid. Spray the cylinder, making sure you get the inside good. Do this the night before. It won't thaw a frozen lock but it will dry up the moisture keeping it from freezing. Move to Southern California.

Happened to me once, ignoring the laws of physics, I tried to fit my 200 lb round body through the square hole of my back glass opening. Fortunately, this was in front of a Bass Pro shop and only 150 or more people saw me dangling stuck. A family walked by as I unstuck myself and their 10 year old said, "Hey cool truck!" So I asked permission to slide the kid through the window which was granted, but the doors were fast frozen and he wasn't strong enough to open it. So he was trapped and as he seemed to start panicking and as his parents irritation grew to being outright irate. I gave one last heave and finally yanked the door open before the law was called. Carried a propane torch in the bed after that. :oops: :dunce:

Wait your door locks freeze?!? :eek: could you just pour water on it? Idk that's what I do on my windshield when I get ice on it.

Brandon

:rotf:

Have you ever left Florida?

Not really Lol. I've never seen snow, frozen lakes, chains on tires, or know any body who owns a "winter beater". Hell I didn't know rust got as bad as it does untill I joined this forum and saw some of the floor boards/rear fenders. I'm sorry but if it's so cold that it freezes my door locks I would NOT be out side.

Does it take long for this to happen? If it only happens over night then I just wouldn't lock my doors (I am assuming that you live in a rural area).

As for the lock, I heat the key with a propane torch,then insert into the lock. In the old days when people were smokers, we used a Zippo lighter.

My bike's ignition freezes up all the time in the winter, and this works great for getting the key in and the ignition turned on. Not so great once you reach your destination and the key is frozen in the "on" position. :roll: When I get to work I have to shut off the engine with the kill switch, run inside to get some hot water from the coffee machine, run back outside, then carefully pour the hot water over the exterior of the ignition cylinder (careful not to get any more water down the key hole!) to unfreeze it.

Fun times. I'm thinking of upgrading to a keychain minitorch so I can just blast that sucker. That, or actually cleaning the water out of the cylinder...

When I was a kid I had a 1927 Harley Davidson WD that I tried, unsuccessfully, to kill myself on. The switch was all rusted and the key had been broke off with the stub still in the lock. Then there wasn't starters and electronic ignitions. Just magnetos. All the sw did was open or close the ground for the mag. I made up a 10 inch piece of wire with a alligator clip on both ends. When I wanted to go somewhere I would clip one end to the mag and the other end to ground. Then kick it 10-15 times and I was on my way. To shut it off, remove the wire. Basic, but it worked.

Happened to me once, ignoring the laws of physics, I tried to fit my 200 lb round body through the square hole of my back glass opening. Fortunately, this was in front of a Bass Pro shop and only 150 or more people saw me dangling stuck. A family walked by as I unstuck myself and their 10 year old said, "Hey cool truck!" So I asked permission to slide the kid through the window which was granted, but the doors were fast frozen and he wasn't strong enough to open it. So he was trapped and as he seemed to start panicking and as his parents irritation grew to being outright irate. I gave one last heave and finally yanked the door open before the law was called. Carried a propane torch in the bed after that. :oops: :dunce:

:clapping: :rotf:

• 2 weeks later...

I use PB'Laster in all my locks and catch mechanisms every 6 months. No freeze up even on Mt Baker. (except 1 missing it's "door") I use a stick of potassium (?) grease on the rubber so it doesn't stick or make a mess of clothes if touched. But then I grew up in the Great White North, eh? (Spent my winters between Surrey, BC and Valdez, AK)