Headers and other aftermarket exhaust

Don't know offhand what brand, but a friend of mine installed a header on his Cherokee and had to take it off again as it wasn't clearanced for the front driveshaft like the stock downpipe is. Would have worked fine on a 2wd, though.

• 4 weeks later...

clifford performance (6=8) makes a nice header that fits renix 4.0's a bit pricey but have all the goodies of a top notch company,I called them a few weeks ago and asked for details 1/2" flange,16 gauge mandrel bent tubing,ceramic coated jamminz.gif

header wise i have a borla on my '87 xj (with cat back) and a banks on my '91 mj (just header). the borla helped the renix but the banks is/was a stock replacement. cat back for a mj prob not but you could get the header, down tube, to cat, maybe muffler and then head to your local exhaust shop. maybe flowmaster makes a cat back systems? been very happy with both headers (borla late 90's, banks mid 2000's) with no prob... expensive yes. worth it yes. .02

YES! and no.

my case cracked manifold/s: you can replace your stock soon to be cracked already cracked manifold with another stock manifold ? for half the price of a borla/banks (over the counter). or have your soon to be cracked prob already cracked manifold welded up.

the borla helped the renix still not a high output but it helped it. the biggest gain was just climbing grades (in a rig that has the aerodynamics of a brick and with mine running 35's w/4:56's) being able to stay in overdrive without running in 3rd for miles.

went with the banks on the mj just to be different/try it plus the previous owner had a new cat back exhaust (muffler shop) installed. the banks just bolted right to the stock down tube.

stock 4.0L manifold suck. .02

I went the pace-setter route (had great clearance with the down pipe and my drive shaft), with a magnaflow cat, and cheap flowmaster i found on craigslist.

Was harder and took longer to remove the old exhaust system that had 4 cracks on the manifold, and at least 3 leaks on the rest of the system, oh and it was pretty much held on by rust.