Grandpa's Truck

Good evening - My name's Andrew. I've been lurking the site for a while now. Finally got around to signing up :oops:

So here's my comanche - a 1990 Eliminator. My grandpa bought it new. He passed away in 1995. Since then, the truck has been owned by my father, uncle, cousin, and this past May it came back into my father's possession. I consider it mine, though, since I'm the only one that drives, cleans, and puts gas in it :D Since May, it's had a complete engine tune up, tranny tune up, new shocks, new bed liner, and a LONG overdue wash ;) It's here to stay where it will get the TLC it deserves.

It's got the 4.0 engine with 105k miles. I dare say this is one of the nicer comanches left on the road in factory condition - it's had some touch-up paint and new exhaust, but otherwise it's all original. No rust to speak of! Very clean little truck. It's a hit with all my friends and I get a lot of looks around town 8) The pictures don't do it much justice.

More pics -->

I've learned a lot browsing this forum. Y'all seem to be some first-class folks ....a nice change to some other forums I USED to be a part of :roll: Take care !

-Andrew

:drool: shiny Jeep...

Looks awesome! :thumbsup: welcome to the club

My Grandfather bought my Blue Comanche new, and his 4 sons and their kids wanted it but he would not give it to them... After i started driving he gave me the keys! My Comanche has been a Bittersweet love. Shes been at the auto shop for 6 months and out of commission for 8. finally got the parts for the new transmission and will have her back later this week! I bought my Father and little brother their Comanches, Jeep has become part of my family's life style. Careful what you are getting your self into because you can never only have just one :brows:

Cool.

Check out the Family Truck thread.

It was also bought new by my father in law.

I bought it from him and gave it to my son.

He drove it and after years of neglect, I now have it and am in the process of getting it back up to snuff.

I ran into a local guy here last week. I followed him as he had a nice 91 short bed 4X4 stick that was lifted and looked nice.

Once he stopped, I talked to him. He was the original owner. He had rebuilt the motor with a bunch of performance stuff.

It sounded real nice and he said that it ran real strong.

I told him about comancheclub. He didn't know about it.

Hopefully, he'll get on here soon and join up.

Enjoy the Eliminator.

Thanks guys ! Jeeps are a part of my family too. Too many jeeps to list have come through my immediate and extended family. I was anxious to get the truck back from my uncle and give it the TLC it needed before it wasted away. We've worked it a good bit, but it will have a life leisure for the most part from here on out. I hauled a few coolers of beer with it this summer, thats about the most hauling it'll see from here on out :cheers:

And yes, I know you can't stop at one ! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another one. I'd love to clean one up with the 97+ interior/ front end like I've seen so many people do. Being grandpa's truck, I just can't bring myself to modify it too much. My problem is there's too many old jeeps I'd also love to get my hands on :roll:

ya because Blue was my grandfathers Jeep i was keeping it as close to stock as i can, aside from the front springs, center console, cone filter, and grille guard all the other mods where stock options for other MJs. That is why I bought Red in the first place, it was going to be my V8 hot rod jamminz.gif but my little brother will be driving soon so i am giving it to him.

Andrew, great truck. I agree with you, keep it stock, especially since it is an eliminator. Even though some other family members didn't give it the tlc it is getting now, I am glad it stayed in the family. Patience definitely paid off for you and the mj.

Buck.

we may be first-class folks, but i assure you, you'll be getting many slaps across the face if you don't keep this truck in pristine FACTORY condition and garage kept. i bet you could count with your fingers the number of MJs out there in such good shape. give it a few years and yours could be the only one left :bowdown:

maybe we'll see you on berrett jackson 20 years down the road making a quarter mil off this thing

Thanks for the kind words ! It's nice to think that, but at the end of the day, it'd be hard to part with Grandpa's truck. It's the only thing I have of his.... :(

Ordered the expansion plug kit from rock auto. Should be here this weekend. Gonna try to get it installed and get the truck back to a dependable state.

comanche.gif

• 1 month later...

So about a month and a half ago, the truck started to develop a water leak. Turned out to be a freeze plug. The dealer wanted an arm and a leg to replace freeze plugs, as did some other reputable shops in the area, so dad and I did it ourselves. What started out as replacing freeze plugs turned into replacing exhaust manifold (had a crack - we knew something wasn't right with it from the start), accelerator cable, and O2 sensor. Not a terrible job, but with it getting dark earlier in the evenings and the weather getting colder (we thin-blooded southerners dislike the cold), it took us a while to get everything done. Not to mention we've been traveling so much lately.

Well today we finished getting everything buttoned back up. She runs so sweet without that pesky crack in the exhaust. Next we're going to replace all the bushings in the front end, but that could be another few weeks off.

This may not be the right place to ask, but one thing that does bother me about the truck is the torn up plastic inner fender pieces. I can't find them online - is there anywhere to get replacements ? Every time I wash the truck more pieces come off. They're just disintegrating. But for now, I'm one happy camper to have her back on the road !

comanche.gif

Very, VERY cool Eliminator!

I know what ya mean about the cold, I just finished pulling my new rear axle in the snow. And it really sucks having an hour and a half of daylight to work on my truck when I get outta school every day.