Can I tow this?

I have an '87 comanche, 4.0 I6 4WD...can it tow a 2000 VW Jetta on a tow dolly? I need to go about 45 miles, all highway, no major hills but a few small ones, and a minute of city driving once I get there.

I have a 2000lb tow hitch, great brakes, and I'm probably going to do it unless there is a grave reason not to.

Also, I've read that the comanche might be too light...I do have some weight in the bed, would that help or hinder the process? Jetta is unloaded and empty.

Thanks in advance!

I've towed MJ'S and XJ'S using a tow dolly with my '87MJ, 2.5, 4 speed, 2WD. Longest distance was 65 miles on the Interstate. Held it down to 55. A couple of the steeper hills knocked me down to 45. Would have preferred something heavier and with a little more power but at the moment was all I had. Drive sensibly and you'll be OK. Oh yeah. This was with the factory issued step bumper and 2" ball.

Gotta throw this in. The rear axle is a D35 with 3:55.

Truck can do it, but install a class III or class IV hitch first. Class II would be pretty close to the limit, but could technically do it.

Class I (2000 pound limit) won't do it.

Bumper mounted ball should not be used for anything larger than a cement mixer.

Truck can do it, but install a class III or class IV hitch first. Class II would be pretty close to the limit, but could technically do it.

Class I (2000 pound limit) won't do it.

Bumper mounted ball should not be used for anything larger than a cement mixer.

BS!

From the pic you posted Jim, that don't look like any factory issued step bumper to me...

Rob :no:

that could be a stock bumper.. the one on my red jeep is, or at least it says "Gulf Coast Jeep Eagle Mobile ,Alabama"

265036_2147705532719_1248744812_2633161_4481201_n.jpg

262624_2147706412741_1248744812_2633162_924097_n.jpg

262331_2147704092683_1248744812_2633160_7710062_n.jpg

So what you are telling me is that your truck came from the factory in Toledo, Ohio with a Gulf Coast Jeep Eagle bumper?

Rob

Went out looking at bumpers to see what i could see and took some pics, 20 of them to post. Really couldn't see anything to positively identify Jeep from aftermarket except maybe the mounts. Jeep has the side plate and the one bolts to the bottom of the frame. Aftermarket just has the side plate. Couldn't get pics to post. Some good did come from it. Two bolts had worked loose on the '87 mount. I tightened them.

Jim, maybe in Colorado the bumpers stay solid. Here in Ohio any original bumper still surviving to this day would have completely rotted away from the inside with the paint holding the outer layer of rust together. If the OP is from California it all depends how much snow they get and if they salt the roads when it does.

So what you are telling me is that your truck came from the factory in Toledo, Ohio with a Gulf Coast Jeep Eagle bumper?

Rob

guess that is more of a dealer option. as far as i can tell however it was the bumper that was sold on the truck.

:D

Just trying to make a point. The factory bumper I would trust with nothing... Jim's bumper however, looks to be all steel like the black Fey style bumper, similar to yours. All one piece steel, no plastic end caps.

While the bumper on your truck was most likely put on at the original dealer, it is still an aftermarket piece.

Rob

Although I have lived, and worked, in rusty areas the most notable being Maine, I still have a hard time comprehending rust. I went out earlier and checked all my trucks, 2 J20, 2 J10, a Gladiator and the rest, 16 being MJ'S. And a couple MJ bumpers that were off. I found one that was so rusty I wouldn't trust it to hold the weight of the ball, let a lone try to pull anything with it. The rest were solid enough enough that I wouldn't hesitate to pull their rated load. I apologize to anyone I offended or ticked off with my hard headed stubbornness on the subject. Anyhoo it appears the only way to positively identify a authentic Jeep bumper from a aftermarket is to look at the mounts. After market has a side plate that bolts to the frame, on the side, using 2,3 or 4 bolts.Seems most use 2 or 3 bolts. The Jeep bumper has the side plate and uses 4 bolts. It also has a piece that mounts to the bottom of the frame using 1 bolt. I got some pics if I can just get them to post. I have 4 MJ'S with a receiver type hitch. They all have the side plate, 2 using 3 bolts and 2 using 4. None had a bottom plate. The metal in them was heavy and I'm sure a guy wouldn't have any problem pulling a 5,000lb load with them. Not commenting on the rest of the truck's ability to do so. I sure hope this helps. El Jimbo :cheers:

Reading my long winded essay above I must agree that the bumper in question is not factory. It only has 3 bolts holding the side plate on. However it is heavy, rust free metal and capable of pulling 5K. Jim