1990 2.5L Gauge cluster swap options?

Hey all,

Ive been thinking about doing a gauge cluster swap. I did a search and did not find specific info on doing this swap on a 2.5L. I need to know which years will work, and does it matter whether its a 4cyl, or 6cyl? I'm looking for the easiest "plug and play" option, but want rid of the idiot lights.

-Erin

p.s.- Someone should do a DIY, and have a good list of what works, and what doesn't.

A couple days ago I swapped a instrument cluster from a '89 4.0 into my '87 2.5. Works great.

All clusters from '84 thru '90 will swap. '87-'89 are direct swap. Later ones will also swap but there's more to them. Speedometer cable hook ups are different, Either swap the cable or the speedo. And the oil-temp sending units. Tach seems to be OK but I'm going to check it against another one some day.

Yes, the '90 cluster has the adjustable tach.

Can you elaborate? I have the 2.5 and someone swapped the cluster and I think the tack is off. What to look for?

:idea: Hook up a hand-held tach and compare readings ( Adjust potentameter as required ) to state the obvious :hmm:

I think he means to ask where is the potentiometer located on the (back?) of the cluster?

Also...anybody confirm that a 90 XJ will have the same speedo cable hookup as a 90 MJ?

-E.

Yes the speedo hook-up is the same . Easiest access to adjust the tach is by removing the speedo from the cluster , you can then access the adjuster screw with the engine/tach running easily :wrench:

Can some one please post a pic of the backside of an instrument cluster with the tach adjuster indicated? Also what years had them and which didn't? I have removed IC from '84 to '89 and '93,'94,98 and '01 and I didn't see a tach adjuster on any of them. I also have the FSM for 1986, 1989 and 1993-94 XJ-MJ and there is no reference to tach adjustment.

So if I have an '84 tach on my way to me to be swapped in an '88, I will have to change the cable?

Yes, you will. And the 84 tach does not have the adjustable potentiometer, so it has to match the cylinder count in your vehicle.

• 1 month later...