Deja Vu, Someone slap me!

Comanche County

Well I spotted this old Deer Lease CJ, there's a ton of these ratty Jeeps in TX. I stop to ask about it thinking perhaps there's money in a resale. The owner is a PTSD ridden vet, much like me, albeit from an older generation. So we got along great. I mention I've got a 51' Willys CJ3 I'm trying to get going and I'd really like to stumble on some old Willys stuff, especially a PTO with some attachments.....we haggle on this 74' POS some more and he finally says, "make me an offer on this, and I'll throw in the remaining Willys stuff I've got." but he won't tell me what he's got until I buy the CJ. I offer two bills, he says three, and says "I've got some things you want that I'll throw in." I say "250", he says "that's a deal".

So, then we go to the back pasture and look at two different Willys Super Hurricane flathead sixes, one with a T80? and D18, the other has a T90 and D18, two Willys truck frames - a one-ton with a bed, and a bare half ton frame with D44s and 4.88 gears, a box full of 60's NOS Willys brake parts, and two PTOs. One is buried in a trailer and we couldn't find it, the other is pictured below. A Tulsa PTO. Looks like its the style that bolts to the side of a transmission for a front driven PTO, and not the D18 TC driven PTO I was hoping for. We'll see what the other one is tomorrow when I pick everything up. I figure if I can't sell the Willys stuff to Willys fanatics, then I've got well over 250 worth of scrap.

The 74' CJ5 is a pasture runner with a great running 232, T14 or 15 tranny, D20, and a 3.73 geared D30 and D44 - easy sell at more than $250 for the drive train alone. Then the PTOs -- I'm hoping they have value......here's the slap me part.

I recently had a dream about this guy and his Jeep junk, hard to explain but it happened just as I had dreamed. Plus, these old Jeeps are kinda easy to work on and I'm starting to expand on my Jeep addiction,,,,,so someone please slap me. Life was simple and good when it was limited to MJs, XJs, and ZJs. :doh:

Anyone know anything about old Tulsa PTOs?

6176531243_54f36921c1_b.jpg

6176534913_f96cbbbb2e_b.jpg

6176533297_fa767f47b8_b.jpg

All of the wifes' grand dads' drilling equipment had Tulsa winches on them. Real power houses. I once bent the mast on the power unit trying to pull a stuck pump, with a 20 ton Tulsa. If I hadn't been his grand-son-in-law he probably would have killed me. Got some pics,film, not digital. If I get a chance to scan them I'll post them.

Yeah for some reason, old CJs with all the farm implements are maxing out my cool meter, almost as much as an MJ.

http://www.farmjeep.com/cj5barnfind.html

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Siblings/Caprio3A.html

p.s. Mods, I'm sorry for dirtying up the board with this CJ nonsense. I swear, my first love remains with the MJ.

the Pub is for anything and everything. :thumbsup: especially if it's Jeep related. :D

For sure. :thumbsup:

I know, but you can only cheat on your first MJ for so long before she gets mad at you. Its like trying to date a Puerto Rican girl and a Cuban girl at the same time. Something bad will eventually happen.

I only stopped hoping it had a Dauntless V6 in it....instead it had a 232, the fat girl of Jeep motors.

All of the wifes' grand dads' drilling equipment had Tulsa winches on them. Real power houses. I once bent the mast on the power unit trying to pull a stuck pump, with a 20 ton Tulsa. If I hadn't been his grand-son-in-law he probably would have killed me. Got some pics,film, not digital. If I get a chance to scan them I'll post them.

Yeah I found a couple of links talking about old Tulsa 20K and 30K PTO winches. Its hard to believe these straight cut gears could handle that kinda of load. Especially considering the metallurgy of the day.

Yeah, seems the older they are the easier they are to work on. But it can get tricky if you're trying to do it right. There's a lot of end play measuring, shimming, etc on the old closed knuckle and tapered shaft axles you don't have to do with newer axles. Also, try finding a Willys flathead valve spring compressor or a hub puller. They're not exactly hanging on the shelf at Auto Zone.

Of all the junk I got from him, this tailgate is my fav.

6182807634_927b7fdb65_z.jpg

The video wouldn't play for me....

anyway, here's what that CJ looks like now....gentlemen, if you've never rattle canned a Jeep, I highly suggest you do so. Its a lot of fun.

The inside of the tub and tool box is too rusted to deal with.....I'm already doing a frame up on a 51' CJ3A. I'm not going into such depth with this one. But, I did wire wheel the entire outside of the tub, hood, and fenders down to bare metal, primer and rattle can it with a very rare breed of paint that is very hard to come by! You can only find it at every Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace Hardware in North America - its made by a company called Rustoleum, pronounced: "Reest, ahh', Leeee, Um", I think its French, perhaps a Scandinavian Company - you know those Swiss, they always make good stuff. Good luck finding this rare paint. It comes in a very technically difficult to operate cylindrical applicator that only the purely destitute know how to properly apply.

The seats are out of an equally extremely rare - one Isuzu Trooper II.

Here are the magnificent results which John the Baptist would shave his beard for:

6194068594_29446f91d7_z.jpg

6193549117_11186c7b99_z.jpg

6193544141_31eaeed140_z.jpg

Did anyone notice the Rose shaped cracks in the passenger side windshield? Or the Dove of Peace distinctly outlined in windshield cracks on the driver's side?

I feel so much better when I sit behind the wheel of this Jeep. It does something to me,,,,It magically takes all my troubles away. I'm selling this for no less than 10 Grand!