D35 Leak?!? How serious is this?! HELP!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, I know its a lousy axle, but I also do not have the time/space, or knowhow to swap axles at the moment. This axle has got to get me through till spring, and then I can start figuring out over the winter how/where to do the swap. IF it runs more than $150 with the speedi sleeve, I will skip it, and just keep topping it off over the winter. After my last experience with a full rebuild, this is the only money I will put toward this axle. Besides, this is a street truck only, and I do not have 4wd....

-E.

Pete, I know its a lousy axle, but I also do not have the time/space, or knowhow to swap axles at the moment. This axle has got to get me through till spring, and then I can start figuring out over the winter how/where to do the swap. IF it runs more than $150 with the speedi sleeve, I will skip it, and just keep topping it off over the winter. After my last experience with a full rebuild, this is the only money I will put toward this axle. Besides, this is a street truck only, and I do not have 4wd....

-E.

Not trying to talk you out of what you're doing, I understand that you can't do a swap right now, but thought I'd mention that me(and my family) has owned 8 Jeeps (6 XJs and 2 MJs) with the D35. The only one of those axles to die was in the only truck of those 8 that had a 2.5.

Pete,

I know. I can't afford to do anything at all until next month anyway, as I just spent about the same money chasing down a metal valve cover and gasket for it also. I suppose some would say thats foolish too, as its only a 2.5. I will continue to think about it till the next payday. On that note (of swapping axles) are there ANY that are a direct swap?!? MJ's up here are pretty scarce, so finding a D44 out of a Metric Ton, I think would be a lost cause.

-Erin

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys....Truck is off to the shop to get the pinion seal done. I let them know that I want only the seal replaced, and the yolk shaft cleaned up, that if there is anything else wrong with the axle, I'll drive it till it breaks and replace it with a D44. After it comes back, I back to chasing a steering clunk problem, which I so far suspect the track bar....

-E.

I agree that it may well be the frame end of the track bar. But if it is, the problem is most likely a wallowed out hole in the track bar bracket, and replacing the track bar itself won't fix the problem.

I have now owned 2 Cherokees and 2 Comanches, ranging from 1987 to 1996 and 79,000 miles (one of he 87s, surprisingly) to 187,000 miles (the newest, 1996 one).

They have ALL had to have the track bar frame BRACKET replaced because of a wallowed out hole. Upside is, I now have spare track bars for my stock MJ.

As I watched the track bar moving while turning the wheel, I felt the top of the nut/threaded stem, and it was not moving at all, (if it was, would indicate the track bar mounting hole being out of round) the only play was in the "ball joint" at the end of the track bar. I'm really stumped on this one, as I can't really hear it outside the cab, but the noise is prevallent inside the cab, at the steering wheel. I have posted another thread about this, and I'm still stumped, and do not want to keep throwing money at it, as I'm not positive thats the issue.

-E.

Hey Guys,

I had the rear pinion seal done today. Yes it was more than the original quote, but they also replaced the rear U-joint which had failed, causing the pinion leak. He said as I was leaving....keep an eye on it, and it should go another 140,000 miles, that the innards looked good.

-E.

now back to my steering problem.... :fs1: