good deal

Hi guys I have a chance to buy a 1990 comanche 2 wheel drive with 4.0 and auto tranny. its got a 120,000 miles on it. It was my wifes truck in high school and her family has owned it since it was new. it needs a fuel pump it has rust above the fender and clearcoat fading off. they want 500.00 for it ive never owned a jeep so i was just wondering if this would be good deal. at worst I think I may have to put 300.00 in it to get it in running shape so I would have around 800.00 total

As long as the tank is empty, or can be emptied the tank down and fuel pump swap is not a bad job. Theres plenty of room under there to work with the driveshaft out.The 2wd and auto trans IMO are not the most desireable features of the truck, but I like a man pedal in my MJ. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have some clear coat peel, so thats normal. Same with the rust, just depends on how bad.

well I just wanted to know if the truck was worth what they were asking. So your reply doesnt help me at all,jimoshel. If I do get the jeep and do the fuel pump I will take the bed off. I'm not sure if I want the jeep because I don't know there value thanks for the advice

Thats what i paid for my truck and i bought it from my own father lol. I have my eye on an other right now for the same price and it need similar work as the one you mention so in my opinion for a stocker that needs work i guess that price seems right. some think there worth gold I'm sure but i think the value depends on what you are looking to do with it. i got mime to build into a nice trail rig and will be investing good amount of money to make it so. driving this one and learning the ins and outs of the comanche has really peaked my intrest in the trucks in general, also i might be wrong but if you pick up a chevy s10 and need help with it I'm not sure you will find such a large comunity of others with the same truck that are willing to help you out.... Its a jeep thing :D So to answer your questions directly Yes I think it is a good deal, even if you plan on keeping it a stock truck. Mine gets better millage then my old 4cyl nean did and way better then my wifes full size 6cyl chevy. Good luck with what ever you do. :thumbsup:

well I just wanted to know if the truck was worth what they were asking. So your reply doesnt help me at all,jimoshel. If I do get the jeep and do the fuel pump I will take the bed off. I'm not sure if I want the jeep because I don't know there value thanks for the advice

Half trying to be funny. Half serious.

Owning or wanting a Jeep is more a cult thing. Not a 'gonna make money of it because it's a collectors item'. Name anything about a Jeep you want to, and there is a machine out there someplace that can do it better, cheaper, easier. It's much like owning a Harley-Davidson to a Rice burner. There are Jap bikes, as well as others, that can out run, outlast and more dependable than a Hog. But the Hogs have one thing no other bike in the world has. CLASS!

The quote 'It's a Jeep thing' pretty well sums it up. A suggestion. Get it. Fix it up. Get it running. Drive it. If you don't like it, no biggy. At least you gave it a shot. If you DO like it, Welcome to the madness. Jim :wavey:

Agree with all except

It's much like owning a Harley-Davidson to a Rice burner. There are Jap bikes, as well as others, that can out run, outlast and more dependable than a Hog. But the Hogs have one thing no other bike in the world has. CLASS!

Real bike class has always resided with the Beemers - only. And certain Guzzis, and a few Ducati models, Vincents maybe, ...... :peek:

Darn it Don. Don't get me started. The first bike I ever owned in my life was a '47 Triumph 650. I was 15 and my mom hated me having it. The second bike I got was a '52 Ariel square 4. I've owned, and rode, Harleys, Ariels, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, Indian, BMW, Honda, Yamaha. Suzuki, Ducatti and I'm sure a couple I've forgotten. In 1961 I rented a nice, shiny new Moto-Guzzi from the shop in San Sebastion, Spain. It had 33 kilometers on it. The only reason the guy rented it to me was because he knew I would take care of it. I set off to do something I wanted to do most of my life. Ride a motorcycle around the Mediterranean Sea, staying as close as possible to the coast and not cutting across country on penensulas and such. Left Elizondo, Spain the 5th of July. Got back the 4th of Aug. I was on 30 day leave. That Moto never missed a stroke. Loved it. It was kind a beat up tho.

What were we talking about before this little discourse? Jim

So, what are scrap vehicles going for in your area? You could probably get $300 or so for it by junking it. So if you think i neary DD-able truck isn't worth another $200....?

I own a 2wd MJ so I feel ok saying having a 2wd MJ is not really the same as the "jeep madeness" thing. If you need/want a smaller pick-up with a proven dependability factor ( often breaking 250,000 miles easily) that also has some sentimental value and are willing to have $700 or $800 bucks in it, go for it. If not, don't. It would have to be a really nice example to flip one for a profit economically, it can't really be 'wheeled, so all that really matters is it worth the cost to you?

Buy the truck! Don't stop at $800 dollars. Make it new again, no, make it better than new!

RE: "Real bike class has always resided with the Beemers - only. And certain Guzzis, and a few Ducati models,....."

Add to my tag my two former two-wheel friends:

1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850

1974 BMW R60/6

Very sad they're no longer in my garage!

Too many people want to stay on topic. Just buy it, or better yet, have your wife (Your in-law's daughter) work on her parents to get it for free. :yes:

Darn it Don. Don't get me started. In 1961 I rented a nice, shiny new Moto-Guzzi from the shop in San Sebastion, Spain. Ride a motorcycle around the Mediterranean Sea,

Did a similar thing Jim, only on the other side of the world. Rode my Beemer R60 around Luzon, the "Big Island" of the Philippines. Also a 30 day trip, lots of goat paths and made a lot of friends. Then when later transferred to Singapore to move the Admiral's HQ from Subic to Sing, had another BMW, this one an R75, and rode the Eastern & Oriental Express route from Singapore to Bangkok. Both were 1977 /7 airheads, and never had trouble anywhere except for the crappy Bings. Got so I could field-strip and rebuild them in 30 minutes flat. Good bikes.

Two thoughts.

1.Anybody that doesn't know for sure whether they should get a Jeep or not, really should.

2.Anybody that doesn't know for sure whether they should get a Comanche or not, really should.

;)

as for the automatic 2WD not being desirable, I have to disagree.

That transmission has been bulletproof and you don't have to worry about your fuse box getting shorted from clutch fluid.

And you don't have to worry about your slave cylinder leaving you stranded by blowing it's seal whenever it wants to.

Oh, and my truck will shred the tires anytime I want it to. :banana:

thanks for all the replies and believe me guys I wanted them to just sign it over to us and let me fix it but they won't. and the worst part is it just sits in a garage and goes to waste. cuz they don't want to fix it. I mean the truck has never been abused at all never even had a trailer put on it. I think I'm gona buy it and fix it just cuz I hate to see it go to waste. If I buy the truck it is not to make money it will be my daily driver and hunting truck. I just don't know anything about how dependable the jeep motor and trans were ive always had rangers.

Taking the bed off to do the fuel pump is extreme ridiculous overkill. The easiest way to do it is to drop the tank, plop it on the tailgate, and go from there. If you're thinking to yourself that you don't want to drop the tank, consider that dropping the gas tank is step #1 to removing the bed. Not to mention that I can almost guarantee you'll snap at least half of the studs holding the bed on. That, and getting them back on lined up properly isn't all that fun.