Looking for hands on experience with drop brackets.

So it looks like ive desided to go with drop brackets on my MJ. Ive been doing lots of reading and searching and i know the general opinion on them is a poor mans long arm or a temp fix to correct geometries. Ive also read pleanty of good stuff about them. If at all possible can i get a little more info from some of you that have acctually installed them or had them installed and are still using them and if not why? I'm basically looking for the strongest pair on the market today and maybe any tips on making the install go smooth as possible. I know most of you will want to flame me for wanting to put drop brackets instead of going with long arms but please don't. Ive made my choice and this is it. Also i know 99% of the 4x4 world would stay away from Rocky Road for any purchases but i can't seem to forget the fact they sell the comanche brace with there system. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks guys :cheers:

My '88 MJ had a set of Trailmaster drop brackets installed when I bought it. They are very good quality (if still available?), and they did what they were intended to do -- provide 4 inches of lift while maintaining stock control arm geometry. Remember, though, that any lift (even with drop brackets) will pull the axle to the driver's side, so you still need an adjustable track bar.

I wheeled my '88 all over New England and at Paragon with the brackets. What I found was that they were "rock magnets." They are hanging down 4 inches and they are RIGHT behind the front tires. Roll over an obstacle, and the chassis comes down on the brackets. I ultimately removed them and I was much happier without them -- and I still am. A friend had them in his Cherokee. He ripped one out of the frame pocket up at the Mohawk Trail in Massachusetts, and had to have a repair welded in place before he could drive the vehicle home.

If all you want is 4 inches of lift for street cruising, they're fine. That's what they are for, IMHO.

i bought my Rubicon Express DB about 4 years ago used from a buddy...he wheeled the crap at of them as do i. Just replaced all the hardware and tossed a coat of paint on them and they are good as new. I'm at 7" of lift....eventually i may go longarms but who knows

Years ago, I found a set of Trailmaster drop brackets in the junkyard for $20. I first put them on my 96 XJ, along with a set of RE braces. Then the same drop brackets went onto my 98 XJ, and are now on my 92 MJ, without the braces, of course.

I've run these drop brackets in Moab four times and on the Rubicon Trail four times, with no issues or regrets. I've never gotten hung up on the brackets because if you pay attention to front tire placement and put your tires on TOP of the rocks, you won't get hung up. Sure, the brackets are pretty scaped up after 6-7 years of use, but they're still good.

I don't have any experience with drop brackets, but looking at the prices of long arms makes the drop brackets look real nice, especially if you have a rig that will be street driven more than off roaded. I can peice together a lift and add a new set of drop brackets for way less than half the cost of a long arm kit and get me to the height and offroadability that suits my needs. If I were building a dedicated off road rig, long arms would be better, and would be preffered. You need to decide which will be best for you and your wallet.

I have the RRO drop brackets on my xj. I love them. I have had them for 3 years with no problems or regrets. It rides nice and smooth and I have never hit them on rocks. They are strong and the braces are solid too. If you get the drop brackets go with RRO..

WOW i really appreciate the feed back so far guys and not one rude comment :thumbsup: Eagle if i may ask what size tires were you running? ive got 35's sitting ready to go on and about 6.5 inches of lift sitting in the garage. Ive heard with 35's or bigger the rock hang up problem gets a lot less noticable. any other input on this ? Also i do plan on driving my truck to the trail and hopefully home :D . Again thanks for all the comments so far.

WOW i really appreciate the feed back so far guys and not one rude comment :thumbsup: Eagle if i may ask what size tires were you running? ive got 35's sitting ready to go on and about 6.5 inches of lift sitting in the garage. Ive heard with 35's or bigger the rock hang up problem gets a lot less noticable.

I ran 31x10.50s, with the basic 4-inch lift that the Trailmaster kit provided. I would agree, if you add another couple of inches of lift and then larger tires, the brackets will be riding 3+ inches higher off the ground than my rig. That would do a lot to reduce the "rock magnet" factor.

I had a set on my xj for a while. I had rough country ones, bought them soon after their introduction at a killer price. I had about 5" of lift and since the day i put them on, they were a nightmare. They would hang up on every rock i went over for one, however they took one heck of a beating. I wouldnt even think of getting them without having both adjustable upper and lower control arms. Fighting with setting my pinion/ caster angle is eventually made me take them back off and be rid of them. I think with the offset of RC brand DB's you really need 6+ inches of lift OR use them with stock control arms. Now a buddy of mine has RE drop brackets and has never had that problem.

i had them (rockyroad) on my xj and was happy with them. i would rather have DB's than long arms, somewhat of a comfort factor of how they are mounted compared to a little bit of welding with long arms. about 1 1/2 months ago i ordered a set for the project mj, 3 weeks later and they hadnt shipped, a few emails concerning my dis-satasfaction and was supose to get 20% off if i reinstated my order. as of then they had just finished a batch of mj brackets and only a few sets left so unless you don't mind waiting id check to see when they will be avaliable.

Thanks cody ill look into that. I'm in no serious rush at the moment as i still need a few more parts to complete my lift kit and money is tight like always. Also i might be picking an other mj up soon and need to get it running again so i can have a good daily driver while i do the conversion to my previous truck. Thanks everyone for the info and i hope to start a build thread in a couple of months when all the parts and money comes together so i can share my truck with you guys like you have shared all your advice. :cheers: