Worth it?

kawaboy13

Found an MJ about 5 miles down the road. The guys had it. It was is father in laws and he passed away. He's asking $600. It'a and 88 4.0 manual 4x4 with 140K on it. It runs, haven't got to look it over much. Minimal rust. Factory bed mat. I'm thinking I'm going to pick it up soon. The old man was the original owner. A/C doesn't blow cold and radio doesn't work. Any input?

Alright I went and looked at this truck. Factory bed mat, dana 44, 4.0 with pukey :ack: I drove it around a little. Cranks right up. A lot more get up than my current. No rust. Floors look great. I found a few issues. Looks like it's had some body work and the brakes are terrible. Hardly work at all... The transmission makes grinding noises when shifting from first to second. Master cylinder is full and not leaking. A/C blows, just not cold and the factory radio doesn't work. What could these issues be? Also, how much am I looking at for repairs? Seems like a nice little truck other than those issues. What else should I look for? Thanks, John

..the brakes are terrible. Hardly work at all...

Flush the brake lines with new fluid and bleed it til new fluid comes out. It'll make a world of difference, especially if the fluid is dark or black. New pads/shoes will help too. Cheap and easy fixes.

I don't really have time for a transmission replace project, nor money at 16. Brakes are easy, but the transmission is way more difficult. Without that problem, I'd be all over this. Just not sure if I can afford all that :dunno: And I've never messed with ny of that, nor do I have many tools for these jobs.

Yes, it is worth it. Buy it and fix it.

Pulling a tranny isn't hard, even in a dirt driveway I've done it. Look around for a 94-99 transmission out of a Cherokee. That will be your best up grade. Preferably buy a complete Cherokee and take all the usable parts off it for the MJ.

I've picked up several nice running rust buckets for well under $500 that would have all the parts you need to fix it.