How long does your 4.0 crank before starting?

How long does your 4.0 crank before starting. My truck is an "88" with a rebuilt engine, new crank sensor, Cap, Rotor button, plugs, wires, and knock sensor. It seens to turn over a few times before it fires and I'm wondering if thats normal.

Thanks,

it is a renix thing.in the morning my mj cranks for maybe a second,second and a half and it fires up.now in the afternooon about 9 hours later when i leave work it cranks 3 to 10 seconds before it fires.it's been doing this for years and i have replaced the dist. and a new updated straight wired mopar crank sensor to no improvement.my gf's 95 zj and my grandmothers 96 zj fire on the first crank even after sitting several days.the renix stuff is different than chrysler electronics.i've just learned to deal with it.

x7

mine cranking for like 3 sec. i checked fuel pressure, its still fine and spark fine. so i agree with you guys. its might be renix thingy :roll:

I'm still gotta to get used with it compare with my subaru. started fast

Renix engines have to turn a couple revolutions to compute the CPS sensor location.

That alone shouldn't cause the long crank time, but Multiport Fuel Injection was new technology when the 4.0L was introduced,

look around for other 1987 MPI engines,

it's a pretty short list.

Long crank time was just one of the bugs that didn't get worked out till they redesigned the engine controller in 91.

That alone shouldn't cause the long crank time, but Multiport Fuel Injection was new technology when the 4.0L was introduced,

Wasn't for the Japanese, they had been using it for over ten years.

MPI in 1977?

Bosch, Bendix & Rochester injected cars go back to the 1950's,

but multiport,

as in a separate fuel injector for each cylinder was still new in 1987.

The first Multiport Injection I can remember was the TPI Chevy's in 1985, for Corvettes, Camaro's & Firechickens,

then the Mustangs got Sequential Fuel Injection in 1986.

I can remember Bosch injected VW's in the early 1980's,

but I don't think they used separate fuel injectors like the Jeeps, Chevy's & Mustangs were using by the mid 1980's.

Wasn't for the Japanese, they had been using it for over ten years.

MPI in 1977?

Bosch, Bendix & Rochester injected cars go back to the 1950's,

but multiport,

as in a separate fuel injector for each cylinder was still new in 1987.

The first Multiport Injection I can remember was the TPI Chevy's in 1985, for Corvettes, Camaro's & Firechickens,

then the Mustangs got Sequential Fuel Injection in 1986.

I can remember Bosch injected VW's in the early 1980's,

but I don't think they used separate fuel injectors like the Jeeps, Chevy's & Mustangs were using by the mid 1980's.

My 84 Nissan had Multipoint fuel injection, a 75 280z had multipoint fuel injection, 1980 VW+ Vanagons all were MP fuel injected(hell they were fuel injected before they were water cooled).