Screwed tires

Tire with messed up beads screwed to the rims? I mean drilling the rim, placing 7 to 10 short screws around the rim into,

but not entirely thru the tire's bead, Unsure if it would hold air without assistance, would you trust it to wheel? tire's tread

is very good, hints my conundrum,

My local tire shop tried changing them for me, before realizing they had bead locks, he did a number to it :mad: , was told

by the little 'knucklehead' at tire shop it was done all the time :huh???: Feedback? thoughts??? B…

Ive accually seen it done before but it was many years ago and the owner of the wheels did it with a good set of tires though, the bead was still in good shape. He used rubber cement on the threads of the screws and very coarse threaded screws. I thought he was crazy back then and i still don't recomend it now, but to be completely honest i don't remember him ever saying they failed..... :doh: If you find you want to try it anyway i would recomend pre-drilling the holes in the wheel first and make the holes just large enouph for the screw to pass through it and then install the tire and use some sort of self tappin screw with sealant and do your best to not strip out the rubber. gl

I have never seen it on the street but it is very common and perfectly legal in drag racing. Mr. Gasket, ARP fasters, several others make a kit with the screws and drill bit to do it.

Here is my old bracket racer with drilled/screwed rear tires. 4,300 #'s running low 11's at about 120 mph on slicks. With good track conditions this heavy pig would pull the front wheels an inch or two with the factory suspension, and the screws never harmed the slicks. Imagine the force on the screws to wrinkle the slicks like that with that kind of weigh on them.

(launching)

(suspension at rest)

You mean using these?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Wheels-Tires/Product-Line/Summit-Racing-Wheel-Rim-Screws/?autoview=SKU

I have done it a few times to my drag cars. The reason for it was because the slicks would grip harder than the beads could hold. On a hard launch you would spin the wheels while the tire stayed planted. This hurts your 60 foot times and can pop a bead on launch.

I spent a few hours at a tire place once getting my tires perfectly lined up with the SHELBY stamped on my wheels. As you looked at the car it would read Shelby Charger on the wheels and tires. It looked pretty cool sitting on the show grounds. After a heavy application of a traction compound to the track and a few hard launches my wheels had spun in the tires. I went to a steel wheel and slicks with screws shortly after that for racing.

This is an old school racing trick that is still used today. They will leak air through the screw holes no matter what you do to stop it. They will also loosen up and fall out. I do not recommend them for a street driven vehicle.

I have never seen it on the street but it is very common in drag racing. Mr. Gasket, ARP fasters, several others make a kit with the screws and drill bit to do it.

For years, I've done this myself when mounting slicks for drag racing and never experienced a related failure in literally thousands of passes. The idea is to keep weight down and not have the slick rotate on the rim.

As others have mentioned, it might work OK for wheeling, but bead locks are probably more appropriate off road as weight reduction is not a sufficient offsetting benefit.

-mel

Beadlocks would definitely be better. In drag racing all of the force is in one direction. Low air pressure off-road would pull against the screws in multiple directions, including against the grooves, so I would think they would have a much higher chance of failing or pulling out.

With good tubes my slicks would not lose air for weeks.

In Oregon screwing the bead to the rim was common practice on our dune buggys. They were 12-15 inch wide and running 3-5 psi on the sand. IMHO srewing the tire to the rim is OK for dragsters, sand buggys and rock crawlers. Not street machines.

Small town shop, young kid doing the work, besides the look on his face was punishment enough...

Plus it wasn’t a brand new tire, it has wheeling scars already… B...

My local tire shop tried changing them for me, before realizing they had bead locks, he did a number to it

If the tire shop damaged the tires rendering them un-usable then why are they not paying for a NEW replacement tire?