This MJ looks fun...

Nah, don't agree with that statement in the slightest. Just because it can't be lifted 10", fitted with 35" tires, and can tackle any off road terrain doesn't mean you can completely discount it as a Jeep. If I did, I would have to completely discredit the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 as a REAL Jeep because it features an independent front suspension setup. That'd be a real shame...especially since that it one of the most bad @$$ JEEPS ever produced.

Nah, don't agree with that statement in the slightest. Just because it can't be lifted 10", fitted with 35" tires, and can tackle any off road terrain doesn't mean you can completely discount it as a Jeep. If I did, I would have to completely discredit the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 as a REAL Jeep because it features an independent front suspension setup. That'd be a real shame...especially since that it one of the most bad @$$ JEEPS ever produced.
I will agree that the SRT8 is a badass midsize suv made by chrysler, but it is in no way a jeep! I see past badges. Just because it says Jeep on the hood doesn't mean it is one, and on the flipside of that, just because something Isn't a Jeep, (By my standards), doesn't mean it's not a nice vehicle. Case in point, My favorite car of all time is the 1965 Pontiac GTO. Was that little turd they made in 04' a GTO? HELL NO! But was it a decent v-8 powered sportscar in the middle of an era of econoboxes? I'll concede to that. SRT8 GC, nice truck, but not a Jeep. May as well be a durango RT. In fact, the new Durango and the newest GC share more than just their parent company! They appear to sit on the same platform. Does that make the durango a Jeep? Or the GC a Dodge? In a word, Yes. Everything is so homogenized these days that without badging, you wouldn't know chevy from honda, or toyota from Ford. That is why I liked what I consider to be Jeeps. For the last few years of the ZJ, the last few years of the XJ, and the period of the WJ, Jeep was sticking with their roots of reliability through simplicity, while everyone else was getting into econobox mode and high tech mode.

4x4 just means the driver not as good as he thinks he is and needs help.....:) show some skill drive 2wd lol
you must have transfer case envy, and you're obviously talkin street now. Come wheel with me buddy! Let's see how far your, "Skills" get you through 3 feet of mud, or a 200 foot hillclimb in 2wd! Skill doesn't equal traction my half jeep lovin friend!

I have never seen a doof sell something with a swapped-in small block chevy that wasn't a "corvette motor" ( like that meant much for decades at a time.) Doubt this one is anyway as the '85 (only about 225 hp not 300, IIRC) already had TPI and GM's system wasn't bad, so why the aftermarket set-up? Although the pics aren't great the wheels/tires don't look like a " $28,000" appraisal either. But heck, for a buck... :D

I have never seen a doof sell something with a swapped-in small block chevy that wasn't a "corvette motor" ( like that meant much for decades at a time.) Doubt this one is anyway as the '85 (only about 225 hp not 300, IIRC) already had TPI and GM's system wasn't bad, so why the aftermarket set-up? Although the pics aren't great the wheels/tires don't look like a " $28,000" appraisal either. But heck, for a buck... :D

I bought an 84 Corvette new and it turned out to be one of the best vehicles I ever owned. The TBI in stock tune was only good for 200 HP as I recall. When I wanted to trade up to an 86 with MPI and ABS, my folks bought the 84 from me and put a quarter of a million miles on the clock. Aside from regular service, it never had a single thing go wrong with it in all that time or a major repair. The ended up selling it to an airline pilot and as far as I know, it's still running. Sorry for the hijack.

PS - I think the 86 was rated at about 225HP, but it was a POS compared to the 84 and I ended up trading it for a Dodge Shelby CSX-T, which was a lot more reliable and fun. There is one for sale locally that I have been trying to ignore: http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/2398574060.html

-meljr

Mel buy that Thrifty!!!

I have always wanted a Thrifty car. I just could not leave my L body roots.

One of the reasons I haven't called the guy is that it could very possibly be either my old one or my younger brothers. We bought two very nice examples from Chrysler as program cars in 1990. If this turned out to be mine or my brother's, well, I'd have to buy it.

At the time, I was working on a project in LA and flying into LAX from Portland weekly. Thrifty was our rental company of choice and I became friends with the local managers. When Thrifty did a promotion with Chrysler/Shelby, we always had one reserved for us. I regularly raced a CSX-T and different Shelby vehicles, including a Pantera mule with one of the first Mopar Performance small block crate engines (which is now in my wife's 65 Belvedere II Convertible) at Brotherhood Raceway in Long Beach during the 90s. Those were interesting times. You could get in Friday evening for $10 and race the 1/4 mile around the clock until Monday morning. The idea was to keep kids from racing on the streets and the Brotherhood was a biker gang from Compton led by some big `black dude named 'Big Willy.' No, I'm not making this up -- got pictures somewhere.

By the way, I'm cleaning up my Shelby Dakota to race again while doing my Comanche build in you honor.

-meljr

Cool stuff Mel. I am glad to hear you are getting the Dakota fixed up. I have always loved those trucks. When I got bit by the Shelby Dodge bug...

I got it bad!

I owned every thing from turbo wagons to turbo vans. I still can't believe how far Ma Mopar was ahead of the times in the late 80s and early 90s. I miss the days of being able to pick up a cheap pocket rocket and beat on Mustangs.