Metric Ton Package D44

the d44 was offered in metric tonne packages from 87-92. the amc 20 was offered in 86. you can also get a xj d44 and do minor mods to make it fit. or if you want to step ot up get some full-size waggy d44s or get a ford 8.8 with discs for the rear out of an exploder. all but the mjs ones will require minor mods.

Alex

Also some MJs just came with it with NO metric tonn package I found one and it even has traclock factory and the guy don't have a M-ton

Cole

Well, now that you've given away the scret, I'll 'fess up. I have a factory Dana 44 under my '87 shortbed -- and the Metric Tonne package only came on the longbeds. I didn't even know it when I bought the truck. I didn't expect it in a SWB so I never looked for it. My buddy spotted it when he came over to see what followed me home.

It's like in the XJs -- you really have to look at each truck to see what it has. A couple of years ago I spotted an AMC Model 20 under an MJ at a nearby gas station. Turned out to be a 4-cylinder! Betcha he'll never blow the rear axle.

Here... I just ran outside and took some pictures to prove it...

pdr_0402.jpg

pdr_0403.jpg

While I'm taking pics... anyone recognize this MJ? It's getting built here over the next couple months. I'll do a buildup thread when it's done. :cheers:

pdr_0404.jpg

I've heard claims, but have yet to see proof of a non-longbed or non-Metric ton that came with the Dana 44 from its birthplace in Toledo. A picture of the axle is NOT proof. If it was, I could just show you the 44 that's under my 90 shortbed. I put it there. The 44 swaps right in and could easily have been done at the Dealership if the owner desired (as far as I can tell, hitches were a dealer-only item).

Oh, and you could get the Metric Tonne with the 2.5L too. Yes, that's right. Out there in the world are Dana 44s with 4.10 gears in them. Happy hunting. :D

I've heard claims, but have yet to see proof of a non-longbed or non-Metric ton that came with the Dana 44 from its birthplace in Toledo. A picture of the axle is NOT proof. If it was, I could just show you the 44 that's under my 90 shortbed. I put it there. The 44 swaps right in and could easily have been done at the Dealership if the owner desired (as far as I can tell, hitches were a dealer-only item).

Oh, and you could get the Metric Tonne with the 2.5L too. Yes, that's right. Out there in the world are Dana 44s with 4.10 gears in them. Happy hunting. :D

I found one with a giant tree sitting on the cab at a pick'n'pull near here.

yard wants $200 drum to drum and the spring packs too.

I told them to hold it for me :D (mj's out for a couple'a days, dead alty)

It's hard to say. The more people find short beds with D44's though the more it at least makes one wonder. If the axle in the above pictures is a swap, it definately had to happen early in it's life. I know the guy who has owned it since 1992 and he never swapped the axle.

Do MJ's have build sheets hidden somewhere in them? Under the seat or something? I'm sure my neighbor would let me dig through it if I knew where to look. :D

I'm totally willing to accept that some lucky MJs got them from the factory (especially the 91/92s, when they knew the end was near) I just want to see proof.

Being an '87 I don't think I can get a factory build sheet that'll have accurate codes, but I'd be willing to bet a latte that my '87 SWB is factory original with the D44. I bought it from a girl whose father was the original purchaser. There is nothing about the truck to suggest that they ever did anything other than drive it, and maybe change the oil once every five years or so.

I have to replace the driver's door window mechanism when I get the truck back on the road. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the original build sheet tucked inside the trim panel.

I'm totally willing to accept that some lucky MJs got them from the factory (especially the 91/92s, when they knew the end was near) I just want to see proof.

Being an '87 I don't think I can get a factory build sheet that'll have accurate codes, but I'd be willing to bet a latte that my '87 SWB is factory original with the D44. I bought it from a girl whose father was the original purchaser. There is nothing about the truck to suggest that they ever did anything other than drive it, and maybe change the oil once every five years or so.

I have to replace the driver's door window mechanism when I get the truck back on the road. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the original build sheet tucked inside the trim panel.

ive heard of them beneath the seats as well... ithink (comancherob?)found his there.

ive heard of them beneath the seats as well... ithink (comancherob?)found his there.

yepyep.

under the drivers bucket or centre of the bench.