A list of things when rebuilding..?

I am thinking about rebuilding my 2.5L just so I can have a truck that is good on gas. I am rebuilding the trans in my transmission class at school so I will basically have a new truck.. Last night I filled up my tank and I parked it at the Lowe's parking lot and went with my girlfriend, when I arrived back about 2-3 hours later, there was a puddle of gas under my truck.. It was coming from the sending unit (Guess I need to find one of those).

Anyway, for those of you that have rebuilt your trucks engine, what is a good list to get?

It depends on your definition of a rebuild and how far you plan to go. I am currently rebuilding my 4.0 and I'm doing a complete rebuild so ill let you know how I went about this one. I dissasembled the engine and dropped off the block, crank, head, and, pistons/rods. I had the block cleaned, bored 0.040, new cam bearings and freeze plugs installed. I had the head checked for cracks and when it checked out I had them do a valve job. I also needed the crank turned 0.020. The Machine shop I used is also an auto parts store so they put a kit together for me at a price I cold not beat. I will be installing new gaskets, pistons, bearings,oil pump, cam, lifters, and timing set. This will all set me back $1050.00 including all the parts and the machine work. I don't think thats too bad considering I should have the same as a new engine when finnished. If things in your engine are still good you can do it alot cheaper than this and your parts list will depend on the condition of your parts. For example if you don't need to bore the cylinders you may not need new pistons. You may be able to do what I call an over haul with new rings,bearings, and gaskets. Also your 4 cyl should also be a little cheaper considering two less pistons. Good luck with the rebuild.

I'm looking for a little more power. It burns a little oil right now. Just want some power and be able to drove it about an hour and a half trip to Spartanburg.. Which it won't make it now.

Why do you think it won't do it? You can rebuild the engine all you want but if your problem isn't the engine its not gonna do any good.

Have you done any tests to verify that anything is wrong with it?

If all it needs is valve seals,I would just do valve seals

If I were you, and it is running good, I would start with at most a head job.... (valve job, seals, and gaskets). You would want either a new injector or a known good injector too, and a new 02 sensor. Or you could start with just the valve seals, the injector and 02 sensor, as you would want these new with a rebuild anyways. I'm sure these few things would make a big difference in your engine by themselves. Oh, and a tune up is assumed at this point as well...plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and maybe a new coil and ignition module too. Before you do all this maybe do a compression and leakdown test to check the internals before going too far. If your rings are shot, youll need a full rebuild anyways.... good luck!

Yeah was thinking that, my friends friend has a 99 xj 175k 2wd wanting to get rid of cause of a head gasket. Said it overheated and I'm not sure if head or block is warped.. Wanting like $800 might talk down to $500

If you do rebuild, pay special attention to the piston selection. In my searching I have not found a replacement piston for the 4.0 that has the same 13.1cc dish volume as stock. Most are around 18.5cc. Sealed Power is the closest I have found at 16cc dish volume. You can get stock oversize pistons from the dealer, but they wanted $150 A PIECE! If you get too much dish volume on a stock motor, you will reduce compression and ultimately power.

If you want a 4.0, don't rebuild your transmission.

• 3 weeks later...

I might be rebuilding my 2.5L vin H. I had the head planed and pressure tested after an overheat. New gaskets etc. put it all back together and it smokes and runs rough. What should I test for the bottom end before I start looking for a used motor/jeep/ or rebuild?

I am going to start by replacing most of my seals... Rear main, Oil pan gasket, because it is very oily under the truck.. Anyone have a list of part numbers for some good seals/gaskets?

Thanks

if you need to go through it, check everything. don't skimp on parts or machine shop work. when it goes back together, you want it to run without problems.

as with any rebuild you never know whats in there until its open. so you have a possible open ended money pit.

i would have a plan B, in case of surprises.

good luck! dave