Blower motor replacement?

I have two or three heater blowers riding in the back of the XJ that died with their boots on. The one that's in the XJ now is nearing the last round-up, too -- lots of squeal when it first starts spiining on cold mornings.

Apparently it's possible to buy just a replacement motor for these things, but ... how do you get the blower impeller off the motor shaft without breaking it into ten zillion little pieces? Has anyone done this -- successfully?

Take the spring clip off, put a spot of oil on the shaft, let sit a while to loosen up.

Hold the wheel with the motor hanging, have your helper give the shaft a little kiss

with a hammer, pull the wheel off. Watch your toes if the motor hits the floor.

$16 bucks saved for trying, and succeeding :clapping: .

I don't know if it is worth it or not but the last donor motor I put in sounded iffy,

so I squirted a little spray lube into both ends. Works like a charm. Don't use WD-40, not really

oil and it's too light weight.

FWIW, the old motor gave up when it was -12* go figure.......

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one that came up when I searched "blower motor replacement."

I have an '87 MJ and strangely, it seems to be leaking rainwater into the cab through what I think is the blower motor (heater fan motor?) seal through the firewall. it seems crazy but I haven't been able to see any other place the water might be getting in. The windshield seal is good.

How do I get that sucker out? I'm not afraid to tear into something but I don't want to take a bunch of stuff loose/apart that I don't need to.

Any help or resources are appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

P.S. this is getting critical since the MJ is my DD for now. The XJ is getting a new floor and heater core.

To get that foam seal out you have to take the same steps as you would if your replacing the heater core. That heater box doesn't have to come out but it does have to be loosened. I believe its 3? bolts that go through the firewall then there is one small sheet metal screw that is upside down in front of the box.after that remove the passenger side dash bolt so it has some play. disconnect all wires and vacuum line and then ya can pull out the box enough to replace that seal.

I'm doing tis tonight or tomorrow morning. My wife's blower motor quit this morning. Power to the motor. I went up under the dash with an air nozzle and blew the squirrel cage a bit wiht the fan power on. Started running for now. I bought a new squirrel cage for $27 at AZ and the blower for $28.

The heater box does not have to be loosened. The blower motor is removed and replaced entirely from the engine compartment side of the firewall, and it's held in place by three nuts. Just unplug the wiring connector, remove the three nuts, and pull the blower motor straight forward.

Oh, and squeeze the rubber tube to remove it from the motor housing.

The heater box does not have to be loosened. The blower motor is removed and replaced entirely from the engine compartment side of the firewall, and it's held in place by three nuts. Just unplug the wiring connector, remove the three nuts, and pull the blower motor straight forward.

Oh, and squeeze the rubber tube to remove it from the motor housing.

He was asking about the blower motor seal, not the motor itself. That foam seal is sandwiched between the the heater box and firewall. Sure ya can probably remove the old one without loosening the box. They're usually dry rotted and fall apart easily but getting a new one in won't happen.

• 2 weeks later...