transmission rebuild Kit

Who has a better rebuild kit for a Aw4 transmission, Autozone, Napa, Carquest, or advance auto? I would like not to order one from an online store however if there is one online thats much better then the ones autozone and what not offer then that would be great also. Thanks

Brandon

Whats the transmission doing? Tough to kill an AW4.

:agree: On an AW4, I've heard unreal stories of their toughness and longevity.

Myself, I wouldn't bother with a rebuild, there are too many of them out there that can be had for cheap.

My 2 cents.

maybe i had a weird occourance but when cruising down the fwy my tranny would kick out of over drive and start slipping, if i accelarated the torque conv. would lock up and be fine, back to cruising itd be slipping again.put in a new tps, still did it. after a week i went home, drained the fluid-full of metal sparkles. long story short i got it rebuilt but it still did the problem just not as much. figured hell it has a warranty ill let it break and get it fixed again. shortly after i bought a bored out throttle body. problem solved. sounds weird, i dunno why that fixed it but it did.

Whats the transmission doing? Tough to kill an AW4.

:agree: On an AW4, I've heard unreal stories of their toughness and longevity.

Myself, I wouldn't bother with a rebuild, there are too many of them out there that can be had for cheap.

My 2 cents.

because the one that I had that I knew was good was taken from me. So I found some one thanks to another forum who will give me one for $200 and thats with the t case. I Figure that If I have to rebuild it it will be like having a knew one.

thats with the t case. And the last one I had that I knew worked fine cost me 300 and then 100 for the t case. Junk yards here think they sell gold. I just talked to the guy whos gonna rebuild it for/with me and he said rebuild kit should be like 350 or so for the parts unless. And he didnt say any thing about layber so maybe free idk. So it shouldnt be all that bad.

Brandon

Ok, I have a similar situation. I have a running and driving AW-4/242 setup that I will be switching over to my Comanche. Yes I would like to have it rebuilt but for the price of a rebuild and the chance it's a bad rebuild I would rather find another to replace it when it dies. I have heard MANY stories where their rebuilt trans lasted x miles and crapped out. Usually a rebuild is around $800-$1200 and you get a 1 year warranty, not worth it.

So here's the question:

Other than switching the electronic to gear driven transmission speed sensor what is the span of years compatable?

Find a used AW4, pull the pan, look at the fluid and inside bottom of pan.

Bright clean fluid, even at 300 bucks probably means a good used tranny with a lot of miles left in it.

Brown fluid, burned smell......well you know the deal.

If a JY won't let you inspect/pull the pan, move on to somebody who will.

can't really see paying the cost of a rebuilt tranny on a truck that's probably worth less than the rebuild.

I know we all love our trucks, but I can tell when it's money we're talking about (mine) and who wants it, them.

Save your money for your other toys........

I wish I lived where some of yall live but The last transmission and t case I got that "may have"" been ok. I think for the the price of 600-700 bucks for the rebuild of the transmission and a good t case I think that thats better then hunting around for one for months on end and not really knowing if its good or not. 90% of the junk yards down here drain all fluid out of any thing they sell so theres no way to check that either. I just checked car part.com and the closest transmission and t case's are the next city over and they want 200 for the transmission and 200 for the t case. So at $400 is that risk really better then spending a bit more getting a transmission and rebuilding it and a t case for $700? It seems like its a better idea to spend a bit more and know what I'm getting then gambling with $400.

Brandon

I'm going to assume Z-Hills is Zephyrhills, Florida. Sorry, I'm not up on the Floridian lingo.

So, going with that assumption, I did a Craigslist search around that area for a Cherokee transmission. I see there are several listed. Some of the more notable ones are as follows:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/2184445266.html - been up for a while so could possibly lowball him

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/2248199425.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/2223961591.html - comes with the desirable 242 t-case

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/pts/2177965901.html - low mileage, but 21-spline

There are many others listed in other surrounding areas, but I'm not sure exactly where you are or how far you're willing to drive.

For a lot of transmissions, I would not take the chance on getting a used one, but the AW4 is a beast and is one of the few transmission I would take the chance on to save some bucks.

I don't know. Most of the, places you pulled up is just a bit far way (hr or more). I really don't think that gambling on $200-$400 is the best idea here. I understand that they are a beast but they are all out of used SUV's/Trucks and could have somthing wrong with them. I'm always looking for ways to save some $ but i don't know.

Brandon

It's clear you've got your mind set on rebuilding one of these so I guess we should be focusing on finding you a quality rebuild kit. I won't be of much help because any time I need to fix a broken AW4, I replace it with a used one. Rebuilding transmissions is just too expensive for me to even consider it.

Ok well after thinking about this I'm going to try and go with the $400 gamble on a used transmission and t case from a JY and see if they will work. This is instead of going with the one that I knew was bad and rebuilding it for around $700. I sure hope this works out. Thank yall for all of your opinions.

Brandon

It doesn't have to be from a JY. You could try buying from a member here, or on other online Jeep classifieds. AW4's came in plenty of rigs. Usually, a person has more to lose if they sell you a bad part on a forum classified, so there's more motivation to be honest about the condition of what they're selling. A junkyard is almost always a "you get what you get" operation, and therefore doesn't really care whether the part they sell you works or not.

That is very true. I'm still gonna get the t case from the guy who was going to sell me the bad aw4 cheepish. So thats like half :D I'm going to look for about a week or so before I get one. Thank you

Brandon