tranny swap......now i have clutch problems

Those top two bolts on the tranny are a b!tch and there e-10 or e-12. I ended up pulling the motor and tranny and took a hammer and chisel, grinder and drill and a 6 pack to them to get them out. So i hope that you don't twist them off like i did

Yeah, just plain studs. They greatly help to align the tranny when reinstalling, too. Once it's on, just run a couple nuts onto the studs to secure the top of the bell, along with the other bolts/nuts.

Or you could use regular hex head bolts, but you loose the alignment assist. Either way, don't reuse the torx head bolts....

Jeff

hmm i think mine has been switched before i just looked at the bellhousing on the tranny thats on the jeep now. it has studs/bolts like you guys were sayin to be able to line it up ... so where were those torx bolts supposed to be? was i missunderstanding ?.. either way iam glad theres no torx bolts on the tranny.. thats where i thought you were sayin they were.

Image Not Found

i imagin the answer would be yes, but u may run into alignmen issues later when puttung the next tranny back in. it would probably make it eaier to get the bellhousing off though if you want to go that route?

even with my 4.0 out and the pukegoat attached i still couldnt get the damn thing off....

It's bad, but not that bad. To access the two top bolts, pull the crossmember and let the whole driveline hang by the motor mounts (watch the fan blades so they don't contact the radiator). The back end will sag down far enough for you to cobble together about a mile worth of extensions to reach them. Alternately, you may be able to get to them via the cutout in the floorpan where the shifter comes thru...remove the large plastic/rubber dust boot and you should be able to get to them with a few less extensions :D

Jeff

Unless you have a tranny jack, I'd pull the TC off seperately, then drop the trans. If you don't have one, get yerself a ratcheting box end wrench (Sears has them for about $7 ea) for the TC bolts. You'll be glad you did. When reinstalling the tranny, put it in 3rd gear. That way, you can twist the output shaft back and forth to help align the input shaft splines with the clutch disc. Don't forget to reconnect the CPS when you're done, either ;)

Jeff

Yah, it shouldnt cause you any trouble. I never thought of using studs on the top of the bellhousing. I put regular hex head bolts back in there anyway. One other thing of caution. If you use a floor jack to support the tranny as it is coming down off the truck, make sure you take the fan off of the engine. Tilting the whole setup down gets the fan blades mighty close to the radiator. Once you get the crossmember off, you can tilt everything down with a jack. Then you can get over top of the tranny and with alot of extentions on your ratchet you can get to the bolts near the top of the bellhousing. Just make sure you chain the whole setup to the jack before you start loosening things. They aren't the lightest things in the world and no one wants one on their chest.

i got the old ba10 out and was putting the new one in.. it shifted great before i put it in then.. i went to bolt it all to the motor.. and now it seems its stuck in 3rd gear someone said to put it in 3rd to spin the spline so it will go better.. well now its just stuck in 3rd all the time. i just pulled it out , took off the transfercase and it still won't move... idk what to do!

Use a big hammer and show no mercy!! jamminz.gif

My Peugeot once got stuck in second for no particular reason and when it looked like a tow was inevitable anyways, I pushed hard on it with my foot. It popped out with no great fanfare and I never had that issue again. :dunno:

haha yea i was pretty frustrated.. then after i got it in it was shifting fine.. and i went to start it and NOTHING!.. i forgot to put that sensor at the top left of the bellhousing... what does it do? what is it?....whatever it is it kept my truck from starting.......then when it did start i was drivin home and had horrible chattering everytime i pushed the clutch but it stopped pretty quickly....... "only in a jeep" hahaha