309,000 miles

xmeatbagx

i have 195,700 on my 1995 XJ. ive never doubted it, and love it. it leaks so bad though. i changed the oil a month ago, and ive already had to add 2.5 quarts to keep the dipstick at full.

sounds exaclt like my mom's 95 XJ... except its a auto 2wd 4.0 with 198k on it and it leaks like a seive.

i have 195,700 on my 1995 XJ. ive never doubted it, and love it. it leaks so bad though. i changed the oil a month ago, and ive already had to add 2.5 quarts to keep the dipstick at full.

sounds exaclt like my mom's 95 XJ... except its a auto 2wd 4.0 with 198k on it and it leaks like a seive.

While the engines are certainly capable of 200k+ (all 3 of mine are), alas the seals are not.

Depends on which seals are leaking. The rear main seal requires dropping the oil pan (and use of a torque wrench) and is generally a very messy and sometimes frustrating procedure. Changing the valve cover is pretty straight forward, but there are no guarantees when screwing around with 15 year old gaskets. I haven't done the oil filter O-rings yet.

My 2.5L has 2944895km's. Once it starts leaking, I'm doing a complete gasket job on the motor. Main, oil pan, valve cover, oil filter o rings.

EVERYTHING.

Keep my 2.5L running happy and healthy. And if its not leaking by summer, when I pop the pistons out, drop the oilpan, and do the crank bearings, piston rings and rod bearings, Ill do the main seal too. Its a good engine, decent on gas (lately its bein' a pig, time for a O2 sensor change) and keeps me going.

Depends on which seals are leaking. The rear main seal requires dropping the oil pan (and use of a torque wrench) and is generally a very messy and sometimes frustrating procedure. Changing the valve cover is pretty straight forward, but there are no guarantees when screwing around with 15 year old gaskets. I haven't done the oil filter O-rings yet.

Here's a good write-up replacing the rear main...

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/features/ind ... stallation