2000 XJ power train in my MJ

Hello all, i recently purchased a MJ project that i had been working on with a buddy. He'd bought a XJ as a donor for interior,drivetrain, and powertrain. My question is.....What do i need to do for fuel supply for the XJ engine? is it as simple as running the XJ fuel pump in my tank or what would be my other options? Plan on posting pics in the project section later on!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am doing the same swap.. 2000 xj donor for everything.. if you come up with a way to get the stock MJ tank/pump to work, let me know.. right now I am looking at replacing the mj tank with a fuel cell and just using the pump from the XJ

Just dropped my MJ tank with no issues, So far have found ABSOLUTELY NO RUST ANY WHERE!! jamminz.gif

Started thinking of how i could use the XJ fuel tank in the MJ, goung to do some measuring and tryin to make it work. If that doesn't work out I may just put a aftermarket pump and regulator in and set it to XJ specs for pressure

All MJ fuel pumps are capable of putting out over 40psi. The regulator holds it at 31psi. All 4.0 engines calls for 31psi at the injectors.

so I will need to put a in line regulator in since the xj reg won't mount on my system

thanks, I believe that would be a great deal. think I am goin to just put a inline regulator and filter on the stock mj pump and adapt the xj fuel line to it all. then just figure out the wiring to use xj harness

Its not the pump which causes the issues with the 97+ conversion, but the fuel level sender. The MJ (renix or HO) sender does not send the correct signal for the 97+ gauge.

thanks, I believe that would be a great deal. think I am goin to just put a inline regulator and filter on the stock mj pump and adapt the xj fuel line to it all. then just figure out the wiring to use xj harness

Its not the pump which causes the issues with the 97+ conversion, but the fuel level sender. The MJ (renix or HO) sender does not send the correct signal for the 97+ gauge.

yeah is see now, think i am goin to use the genright bracket and install in to my existing tank

If you're going to keep the MJ fuel tank/pump you're going to need to put some kind of regulator on and run a return line to the tank. The regulator on the newer XJs without the return line are contained within the fuel pump assembly.

Personally, when I get to this point of my 99XJ conversion my my 88MJ, I will be making a custom mount setup under the bed for the XJ tank. I believe shelbyluvv did it on his 97+ conversion. I also want my fuel gauge and low fuel light to work properly as well, hence my reasoning for just sticking with the XJ fuel pump assembly.

If you're going to keep the MJ fuel tank/pump you're going to need to put some kind of regulator on and run a return line to the tank. The regulator on the newer XJs without the return line are contained within the fuel pump assembly.

Personally, when I get to this point of my 99XJ conversion my my 88MJ, I will be making a custom mount setup under the bed for the XJ tank. I believe shelbyluvv did it on his 97+ conversion. I also want my fuel gauge and low fuel light to work properly as well, hence my reasoning for just sticking with the XJ fuel pump assembly.

thats why I am ordering the fuel neck from genright to use the xj pump and regulator

Gotcha. This guy? http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=APR1000

The MJ tank has quite a bit more depth than the XJ tank so I'm not sure how the fuel level sensor will operate. My guess is that it would read empty when you've still got quite a bit of gas at the bottom of the tank.

that'd be it, may talk to a buddy and see what he'd charge to build a fuel cell that'll fit in factory location