2000 XJ power train in my MJ

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha. This guy? http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=APR1000

The MJ tank has quite a bit more depth than the XJ tank so I'm not sure how the fuel level sensor will operate. My guess is that it would read empty when you've still got quite a bit of gas at the bottom of the tank.

I have the XJ pump/sender in an MJ tank. I haven't been able to cycle a full tank yet on mine, but when my gauges swept and dropped back down, the gas light came on with about 1/3 tank showing on the gauge. The truck was still running completely on E too. Once I get the truck driving, then I can give a little more accurate results.

I actually have that genright piece and I am getting ready to setup fuel cell in place of the stock MJ tank, once I finish it up I will let you know how it goes..

Sounds great, actually started working with the dakota tank today. If your setup works better I will go that route too :wrench:

Mounted dakota tank in MJ, had to space it down a 1 1/2" to clear fuel regulator. Used a old t case drop i had laying around. Went to Lowes and bought 6ft of this strapping material and made longer straps to hold tank up. Goin to see about having a new skid plate built to protect the tank.

I see your filler neck isnt hooked up yet, is it going to line up without a problem?, if so i think ill be heading to the salvage yard wednesday to pick up about 3-4 dakota tanks, put one in the mj ive been driving with the 99 conversion and have 3 more to finish up the other 97-01 xj mj conversions ive started

I see your filler neck isnt hooked up yet, is it going to line up without a problem?, if so i think ill be heading to the salvage yard wednesday to pick up about 3-4 dakota tanks, put one in the mj ive been driving with the 99 conversion and have 3 more to finish up the other 97-01 xj mj conversions ive started

yes its goin to hook up with no issues! I really put some thought in it before I executed the mod

awesome, ive thought of so many ways to do the fuel tank, never really liked any of them, not even crazy about what i had to do to my tank but its been working for 3 years, but i do like having a plastic tank better and don't like the idea of a tj tank being that close to my driveshaft and the filler neck not lining up.

all i can say is good work man :bowdown: , i never thought about a dakota tank

awesome, ive thought of so many ways to do the fuel tank, never really liked any of them, not even crazy about what i had to do to my tank but its been working for 3 years, but i do like having a plastic tank better and don't like the idea of a tj tank being that close to my driveshaft and the filler neck not lining up.

all i can say is good work man :bowdown: , i never thought about a dakota tank

Thank you sir!!! Only down side is making a new skid for it but I've already got the wheels turning on that too! I am building this one for a very close friend I lost back in august, so it all has to be right from the get go!!!

just a couple more questions, i missed where you added your own filler neck, any details on that? and what size tank is it, 15 gallon?

I love modding stuff so making my own filler neck is no biggie just a little input from somebody thats done it is better

just a couple more questions, i missed where you added your own filler neck, any details on that? and what size tank is it, 15 gallon?

I love modding stuff so making my own filler neck is no biggie just a little input from somebody thats done it is better

I took 2 washers that measure 3" o.d., believe they are for a 1 1/4" bolt and made both holes a little bigger than 1 3/4". got a piece of 1 3/4" exhaust pipe about 6" long. Took the washers and tacked them together and drilled some 3/16" holes in them to make a matching set. weld pipe in one washer and let it stick through a 1/4" to 1/2" weld it up and there's the filler. on the tank were the dodge filler neck is take out rubber boot, under it is a metal ring and the plastic is over lapping. it. Trim the plastic off the metal and pop the ring off. Make the tank area smooth and set your new filler neck in place and mark the holes for the 3/16" bit. I used stainless fastners and permatex gasket sealer. Oh yeah, I took a 1 1/4" bit and put one of the original vents out of the Comanche in the top of the tank. you should see it in the pic of the tank, if not I will post a pic of it

incase anybody was wondering a dakota 22 gallon tank will fit. the salvage yard i went to didnt have any 15's at all and they already had a 22 out so i grabbed it ($20.00) and did a mock up on it this morning, it fit. I made a 1 1/2" drop on the first rib of the bed (towards cab) and a 3" drop on the third rib from the cab and modified the filler on the plastic tank today, I did it a little different than the one showed in this thread. I used a bearing flange that was about 3" o.d. the i.d. of it fit perfectly around the o.d. of a 1 3/4 i.d. exhaust pipe, i used about 3" of the exhaust pipe and part of the filler neck and vent tube of a scrap tank i had and soldered them all together. I am about to go to work so tomorrow i will get the tank installed and take some more pics and load them on here for you to see

in my truck I'm using everything from a 99 cherokee including fuel pump (have been for about 3 years now) just didnt like the tank that i made that i have been using so I'm going to use a dakota tank which uses the same style of pump assembly that a 97-01 cherokee uses