Argh, fuel gauge not working

I took the mj up a hill, doing 30km/h in first gear. Did some mild off-roading, a few old tractor trails, nothing that would be too hard on my MJ.

Well, yesterday, the damnable fuel gauge stopped working, it slops between empty and 1/4 tank. Yet Ive put $35 worth of gas into it (all at $.84/litre ) in the past 2 days. Its the 4cyl so it wouldn't suck gas down that badly, Ive driven it maybe 50km in the past day and a bit.

How would I go about replacing the sensor or whatnot, if I need to. I can always go without knowing how much gas I have, I normally toss $5 into it every 2 days.,

It is easy to take the sending unit out to replace the sensor. It can be done by dropping the driveshaft and then spinning the lock ring on the tank, but most people drop the tank after it has little or no gas in it. The sending unit is snaked in there so you need to be gentle taking it out of the tank. When you put things back together make sure you grease up the lock ring, it will make it much easier to put back on. Its a pretty self explanitory job once you get the lock ring off.

It is easy to take the sending unit out to replace the sensor.

Replacing the sending unit may be easy, but where do you find a new one? Fuel pumps don't include the fual level sending unit. The problem is often the float, and replacement floats are not available, either.

Do you have a source for fuel level sending units?

worst comes to worst, just top it off, fill a 5 gallon gas can, put it in the back, and run it to empty. keep an eye on your trip meter though, so you know how far you've gone. we have to do this on our truck. at 400 miles, you hae a bout 75 miles till empty.

Well, I've never had to replace mine so no I don't have a source. I would imagine that Dealerships have them for sale but I am not sure of that either. I just know it was easy to take mine out when i decided to check it over and test it when my fuel guage wasn't working after i put things all back together. On a related note, does anyone know where i can get a new O-ring for the tank? i tried an XJ one and it was too big, just by a hair. The one I have is as old as the truck and likes to slowly leak my expensive gas on the ground now.

..it works acctually. I just haven't filled it. :roll:

I drove 120 km's twice in one day, from a half tank. I stopped it overnight, and it went to empty (this was thursday) I didn;t fill it ';cause I had figured I still had enough gas, well. I was wrong. I ran outta gas in Picton on Sunday.

Got some gas and made it to a Canadian Tire gas station, filled it. went up to full. ugh. I'm an idiot sometimes

I drove 120 km's twice in one day, from a half tank. I stopped it overnight, and it went to empty (this was thursday) I didn;t fill it ';cause I had figured I still had enough gas, well. I was wrong. I ran outta gas in Picton on Sunday.

Got some gas and made it to a Canadian Tire gas station, filled it. went up to full. ugh. I'm an idiot sometimes

:rotfl2: sorry

Did you run out as in had to walk? I've had that happen, and ever since, I carry a gas can in my bed.

:rotfl2: sorry

Did you run out as in had to walk? I've had that happen, and ever since, I carry a gas can in my bed.

My mom lives in a nursing home near picton (she has multiple sclerosis, had a stroke, ect and cannot walk) and the home is at a fairly large intersection, just outside the city, but a good 2km from the nearest gas station, I kept stalling trying to leave the driveway at the home, and when I was in the middle of the intersection, I died. coasted across the lawn of an abandonned (irony alert) Chrysler/Jeep/eagle dealer. walked back to the home ( 2min walk) They gave me some gas, enough to get me to Canadian tire, fill up and drive home. :D