bad head gasket

sup yall, I'm planing to change the head gasket on the 2.5L sometime in the future, but before i do that can i have a specific step by step and other side projects that relate to it? so i won't have to repeat taking off the head again. also how do i check for bad cracks in the head gasket?

So, you're planning to replace the head gasket before you know for sure if it's bad? Why? :???:

You can buy a factory service manual (FSM) for your truck on eBay, or if you're short of cash, pick up a Haynes manual from your local used bookstore (or public library - try not to get it greasy :wrench:). Either one will give you directions on pulling the head.

i know the head gasket is bad lol. the Head itself idk how to check for cracks.

what i mean by other projects, is like when i change the head, do i change the oil and flush/change the coolant before i take off the head so it won't get messy or anything like that? should i check the heads, rings, valves, etc etc. that kinda thing as a side project..

i know the head gasket is bad lol. the Head itself idk how to check for cracks.

what i mean by other projects, is like when i change the head, do i change the oil and flush/change the coolant before i take off the head so it won't get messy or anything like that? should i check the heads, rings, valves, etc etc. that kinda thing as a side project..

The best way is to send it to a head shop,your not gonna be able to properly check out or repair the head yourself.

You change the fluids after your done with the head job

How do you know the gasket is bad?

I agree, send the head to a machine shop that has engine building experience, and have it checked for cracks, and for warpage.... this would be a good time too, to get a valve job, maybe even a three angle valve job, have the guides replaced..... NOT KNURLED, and seats ground, and new valve seals installed. Before you pull the head drain as much coolant as you can, and before you run the engine again after reinstalling the head, change the oil to get out any water/antifreeze that may have made it to the oil pan. Youll want to look at the cylinder walls for any obvious gouging and scoring (lines in an up down orientation in the cylinder)... this may mean youve gotten some dirt in the cylinder or that you might have broken rings... this will mean lower compression, and may need a lower end rebuild and cylinder boring with new pistons, and all new bearings. But it sounds like you don't want to pull the engine, so we will assume the lower end is OK. Other side projects should include a new water pump, new thermostat, hoses etc.... Good luck!

hah no thanks, this here Jeep is mine, and I'd be working on it meself :wrench:

cause I plan to do everything bumper to bumper(cept regearing..), including an engine rebuild in the future. I'm also taking auto tech classes at college so that helps a lot.

new water pump, hoses, etc etc sounds like a great idea, and I'd be sure to change the oil/coolant. another question tho, my engine temp gauge aint working(either that or my engine temp is under 110..) so wheres the sensor related to that?

so far on the next service list

-replace head gasket

-change oil

-flush/change coolant

-replace thermostat, hoses, and water pump

-check cylinder walls

ps. i know the gasket is bad cause theres alot of oil and steam coming out of the back end of it. large amounts of proof is on my driveway

hah no thanks, this here Jeep is mine, and I'd be working on it meself :wrench:

I think what dasbulliwagen and mnkyboy are saying is that a machine shop can probably tell you right away if the head is warped, cracked, or otherwise borked. Even if you want to do all the work on the truck yourself, there are things that are faster/easier/cheaper/more reliably done at a shop.

Your missing the point,even repair shops send cyl heads to head shops.

Unless you have the special training and all the proper equipment your not gonna be able to do it yourself.

As for your head gasket,if you have oil and water coming out of the back of your jeep you need more then a head gasket. Besides I wouldn't base it off of something like that anyway,there are tools and test required to properly diagnose the head gasket.

i still aint got the cash for any shop. aint got a job yet remember and struggling thru this month real bad. even if i do take it to the shop and pay for it, i'd still wanna stand there and help out/learn how to do it, thats the reason i bought this truck, to work on it and make a good project out of it. even if i screwed up i'd still do it agin and get it right, so i don't screw up on the next one. repetition is the best kind of learning anyways.

In March or april i'd just replace the head gasket and swap fluids. last post had the list and i'll also do that. if yall have more suggestions i'd be glad to hear :)

i still aint got the cash for any shop. aint got a job yet remember and struggling thru this month real bad. even if i do take it to the shop and pay for it, i'd still wanna stand there and help out/learn how to do it, thats the reason i bought this truck, to work on it and make a good project out of it. even if i screwed up i'd still do it agin and get it right, so i don't screw up on the next one. repetition is the best kind of learning anyways.

In March or april i'd just replace the head gasket and swap fluids. last post had the list and i'll also do that. if yall have more suggestions i'd be glad to hear :)

I applaud your dedication, but there are times when it is just better to have a shop do it. You're in school right now, right? With no job? Doing anything other than basic maintenance on one car would be financially tough. Trying to upgrade two older Jeeps? That's going to be a really tall order. In your build thread you mentioned that you're worried about where the cash is going to come from this month. Maybe it's time to sell the less reliable of your two rigs until finances are better? :dunno:

You've posted a lot of questions about the best way to do things. On several occasions, people who know what they're talking about have told you the best way to do what you want to do, but you blow them off by saying you want to do it on the cheap, or fix it yourself instead of a shop. Some things are just better done by a trained professional. No one is trying to tell you that you can't. They've learned the hard way and are trying to share their experience to make your life easier.

Sorry if this came off as cranky. I just would hate to see you get in over your head and drop out of school like I did. That decision is still biting me in the butt. Good luck with your fixing, my friend. soapbox.gif

yeah i got some things straightened out for this month, so ill be able to be back on my feet in march (hopefully) and no the YJ is gonna stay as it is, unless it breaks down big time lol. and @#$% no I'm not selling either of them, i love them both to death :)

i understand yall want the best way done, and i agree some things should be done professionally, like regearing. but i'd still love the learning experience of doing it myself, after all i di the entire fuel system 99.8% myself, and that truck runs alot smoother than it did when i bought it. I'm proud of my work on it and I'm alot more confident on my next repairs :)

my colleges gonna need an army to keep me out of there haha, so i aint drpping out, I'm gonna need it to be a mechanic anyways.

thanks yall :)

We are rebuilding engines in my auto class now.. To check to see if you have cracks in the head is to have a certain magnet and dust material, it is very complicated and expensive. School pays for all the tools here so idk how much.. We sent the blocks and some of the heads that needed to be repaired to the machine shop. In auto class, you don't need to know what the machine shop does, they will give you all new pistons and everything that match up to what they did. You just need to know how to put it together.

If your taking off the head, go ahead and do a rebuild while your at it, but I would wait until you have some cash, cause it is expensive. Just wait until money is approved, wouldn't want to take head off twice..

why is everyone so afraid of swapping gears?

Because they aren't cheap and its easy to get wrong,its something that if you don't know how and you don't have an experienced person to help,you shouldn't mess with them.

Swapping gears is easy,its setting them up that gets people. If they aren't perfect you will ruin the new gears.

got the tank back in and cranked up the jeep. it runs great now, but the gas still leaks out... this is getting annoying now..

i also checked for blow-bys, and havent seen anything relating to one. i just think the valves are bad and need replacing.

This was posted in your build thread,you say it runs great but then here you are saying it needs a headgasket. :nuts:

I really appreciate your enthusiasm, ans love that you want to do everything yourself, but reading your posts and responses just gives me a headache. We tell you the best and really ONLY way this job should be done, and you blow it all off saying that you can do it better by yourself. Money is an issue for most of here most of the time, so don't think youre the only one with that problem either. If all you can do is slap a head gasket on it, then do it, and don't ask us for our expensive opinions. I hate to sound like this and talk like this, but sometimes it just has to be said. Slap a gasket on and see what happens....like you said, all you have to do if it aint right is do it again.

might as well move on to swapping in a 5.9L haha

If you are having this much trouble just doing a simple head gasket swap...

A V8 swap is not in the cards for you yet. There is a metric crap ton of work and research that needs to be done to make the 5.9 swap even possible. I have been bending wrenchs for 20+ years and the Magnum swap is testing my mechanical abilities.

The swap is not cheap nor easy. There are things that need to be done to make it possible that you have not even begun to think of. Some of the things that need to be addressed right off the top of my head at this point are,

motor mounts

transfer clearance (floor pan)

air intake size

brake light switch

head light switch

fuel supply

cooling

HVAC

wiring (all depends on engine/transmission chioce)

custom drive shafts

custom trans cross member

There are still a lot of other little things that need to be switched as well. I have them all written down at home stuck under the wiper blade of the truck. That reminds me, the wiper motor wiring is diffent from 86 MJ and the 93 XJ donor. I need a new wiper motor.

I am not trying to discourage you by any means. I would hate to see you get nuts deep into a swap just to scrap it because all the little things start to rear their ugly heads. Do your reasearch on the swap, a LOT of it. Before you even think about pulling the trigger on it.

agreed, magnums are just over my capabilities at the moment, especially the wiring.. its still on my wish list in the future. i know i want one haha

right now its best to keep what i have available in the truck. will get it rebuilt in the future to last a while before i start the actual project on it.

I agree with people for send head to sho for crack but its easy to check warp by just get feelr gauge and straight edge ruler then measure all straightness gap with feeler. I forget what exact measure that are accept by thousandths of inches? .002?

I gotta go back to tech class again haha.

edit: yeah I would check rings, valve, valve seal, rocker arm, valve seat, etc. If I'm were you. also take head in solvent bath to get rid all carbon build up and oil sludge. :thumbsup: