bad head gasket

I agree with people for send head to sho for crack but its easy to check warp by just get feelr gauge and straight edge ruler then measure all straightness gap with feeler. I forget what exact measure that are accept by thousandths of inches? .002?

I gotta go back to tech class again haha.

edit: yeah I would check rings, valve, valve seal, rocker arm, valve seat, etc. If I'm were you. also take head in solvent bath to get rid all carbon build up and oil sludge. :thumbsup:

great idea man, ill have a friend help me with that, hes got experience rebuilding engines. atm hes got a chevy 454 bb, converting it to a 502 :drool:

I agree with people for send head to sho for crack but its easy to check warp by just get feelr gauge and straight edge ruler then measure all straightness gap with feeler. I forget what exact measure that are accept by thousandths of inches? .002?

edit: yeah I would check rings, valve, valve seal, rocker arm, valve seat, etc. If I'm were you. also take head in solvent bath to get rid all carbon build up and oil sludge. :thumbsup:

great idea man, ill have a friend help me with that, hes got experience rebuilding engines. atm hes got a chevy 454 bb, converting it to a 502 :drool:

thanks and good luck. ohh can i have that engine so i can swap it with my MFI 350 out in my C4 corvette :thumbsup:

Show me a ruler that's within .002.

You use a machinist straight edge,they are about $100 and quite different from a ruler.

Show me a ruler that's within .002.

You use a machinist straight edge,they are about $100 and quite different from a ruler.

I don't have it I don't remember the exact number. I'm just guess the .002. its would be .00015 or not. I used those method alot in school. so I'm plan to buy one later.

exusme my knowledge. I start forget alot stuff because I can't find job for almost a year after graudate until finally found one this month. :dunce:

You have to be careful with with words. If you say "straight edge ruler" some people will think they can use any straight edge when in fact there is a special straight edge just for checking for warpage.

And you are correct specs vary by engine but in general .002 is acceptable

You have to be careful with with words. If you say "straight edge ruler" some people will think they can use any straight edge when in fact there is a special straight edge just for checking for warpage.

And you are correct specs vary by engine but in general .002 is acceptable

my apologizes but hey its true with word and yes there is a special straight edge. snap on FTW but for you guys. make sure get the one that not painted because if use painted. the measure will throw off after paint worn out on ruler.

----right?

oh really? alright .002" then. :clapping:

yeah measuring tools must be ase approved to use on vehicles, otherwise its all screwed up. a friend of mines building his boat with a wooden ruler he used in elementary school :shake:

no you can't have the engine lol, hes putting it in a 68 camaro in the future, that is after his youngest daughter graduates :clapping:

yeah measuring tools must be ase approved to use on vehicles, otherwise its all screwed up. a friend of mines building his boat with a wooden ruler he used in elementary school :shake:

no you can't have the engine lol, hes putting it in a 68 camaro in the future, that is after his youngest daughter graduates :clapping:

aw :cry: I want! just kidding its pretty cool present for her daughter. I'm jealous haha

What does a bad head gasket feel like?

I've done hundreds of head jobs and it takes more then a drive to determine a head gasket issue.you may get an idea from a drive but there is testing that needs done before jumping to conclusions and pulling the head.

Before you pull the head you should already have a good idea where its blown and know which cylinders are affected.

feels like theres a 'hole' in the engine somewhere. loss of power in all gears, worse on the highway, oil pressure drops around 20 alot (stop and go) idle is very low when shifting , 3rd gear would be very high idle then shifting to 4th is like a struggle. you could hear the difference as well. and it literally drinks gas. i filled the 20 gal tank last week and only been driving it maybe 50-70 miles, and its around half tank atm.

she still runs strong like a tough b*@$£, but shes still sick :(