No Power. Need some help.

So, I'm working on my '97 swap and today is the day I wanted to get it test fired. When I connected the battery, the under hood light came on and I got a buzzing from the inside. I assumed the buzzing was cause I don't have any doors on it at the moment, but that's not it. The hazard switch was on, but as soon as I turned it off, the buzzing stopped and then wouldn't start again even if I moved the switch back. That's the only signs off life I could find in this vehicle. Turning the key back doesn't do anything nor does turning it forward.

I double-checked the engine bay and everything seems to be plugged in. I expected something not to work, but not everything. Any ideas?

I'm not getting anything. No click, accessories, anything.

I was having the same problem. Tried cleaning up the terminals and that didn't do a thing. Charged the battery up, still dead. The terminals didn't look bad, but apparently they weren't getting a good connection at all. Added a few washers to get them a little tighter and haven't had a problem since. I'll be replacing them soon. How do your terminals look?

Clean the terminals and contacts, nothing. So I put in the battery from my TJ and it tried to start (more on that in a second). Put the Comanche battery on the charger for all of maybe a minute and it finally tried to start.

It sounds like its trying to crank; the motor is spinning, but I don't think its getting fuel. The gas gauge doesn't move at all when you turn it to accessory (or when you try to crank). I've got probably 4 gallons in the tank, so unless the XJ pump just sits so high that it clears 4 gallons completely, I've got another problem. Is there any way to check to see if the pump/sender is working without taking it out?

disconnect it from the wire harness and give it 12 volts. make sure you aren't giving power to the sender wire or you might never again know how much gas is in it. :thumbsup:

Haha. I guess I need to figure out which wire it is then... What's the easiest way to do this? Just get a set of leads and connect them straight to the battery? I suppose if it works I should hear it running.

Is it bad for the pump to run without gas? I thought maybe I could get a new one from the store just to use it as a test. That way I can plug it into my harness and see if runs.

I think the middle wire is the sender, but not certain. An easy way to check is to hook a multimeter up to the Jeep's wire harness with the key in the run position. it should then show like 6 volts to the sender's wire. Then you just need to transpose that info over to the fuel pump's harness.

Well, I have half my problem solved. There was a ground in the tail light harness that I put to the frame and now the truck will crank and run (not sure if that was it or not), but I still don't have a functioning fuel gauge. Its sitting on empty, doesn't move and the low gas level light doesn't come on. Not sure what the problem is yet.

tailight ground was definitly your no fuel pump problem.i swapped beds on my mj last january and i removed the bed and backed the truck out to pressure wash the frame off first.truck started and it backed out about 50 feet and stalled out.i couldn't hear the pump run.well i cleaned the frame off and we pushed the truck back in the shop and put my new bed back on it.i went to see why it wouldn't start and then i heard the fuel pump come on.amc in there wisdom grounds the fuel pump through the tailight harness.i love engineers.

I'm stumped. I've got the truck running, but I can't get any indication on the fuel gauge. There are only 4 wires coming from the pump/sender. Three wires that come back to the main harness and a 4th ground. I broke out my multi meter, but I don't get any indication from any of the pins (I'm sure I'm doing it wrong since I know the pump works). Any ideas?