Removable door Q

yeah i might look into that as well. right now though I'm cool with using the outside handle. i left a big enough lip when i cut it to fit two fingers on there good. reaching around to open it does slightly suck but its not too bad. if i get tired of it, ill just take the door off :yes:

id like to see some pics of your build anyway. i plan on taking a lot more when i do the other door. no hurry now though since i think i got it lol. what the hell has been taking you so long with the pass side?

thanks man. your steel looks a lot beefier than what i got. i went with 16 gauge steel. which is pretty much the size of the door metal. i just measured and mine is 15" from the bottom of the door as well. then i cut 21-1/2" length wise. so both of our down cuts were in the 9" to 9-3/4" area. its just the angles that are different. good stuff :yes:

i got my other door today so now i can hack that up too. i should really finish the drivers but id like to weld them at the same time sooooo, yeah.

Edit: just finished pass side door and re-adjusted the hinges to fit right. ill start cutting down the insides, then fab up the plates to go on

hell this thread is turning into a D.I.Y. post if i ever read one :smart: maybe a sticky in the future somewhere mods......?

sh*t its always more work then you think......

pass side

ran out of cutting wheels. so tomorrow ill do a little tweaking on the drivers and button it up. i wish i would of gotten more done on the pass side but as long as i get one done this weekend ill be happy.

yup i ripped the sh*t out of them. some openings were there already. you can tell where i cut and what was an opening by the lip. prolly not my brightest moment buuuut...... I'm going to leave it as is on the drivers and weld a whole sheet over it. i might try a different approach on the pass side but again ive already hacked the hell out of it.

Edit:

pass door is now 98% ready to start mocking up pieces for. might it get done this weekend too :chillin:

i now understand what took you so long on the other door......

$#!& takes forever if you want it right. i worked with what steel i could get at the time (now i can get diamond plate for free) so it is what it is but i think it looks pretty good. once i grind down the welds and throw on some paint, ill have one half door :D

i finished my drivers door today, minus a few grinds. i didnt do the door lock like i wanted because it was taking too much time to do it in general anyway. well now i wish i had and prolly will do it because i came home and threw it on to test it out/have a look,,,,,,,,,,,,and its f*ckin locked!!! :mad: so now i have to cut a hole to unlock it... awsome..... on a positive note, it looks great and is better then i ever thought it would be on there. it might not look the prettiest but it'll do thats for sure

long over due pics

didnt have the length of steel long enough to cover the whole door but it'll due until i make better ones. it warped in one spot on the inside where you can see a pile of steel. could of grinded it more but it would of looked weird. i still have to grind here and there and paint it camo. other then that for my first fabbing job and second time welding, i think i did alright.

thanks guys :cheers: i learned a lot from doing this and I'm sure the pass side door will be a lot better now that i really know whats going on with it.

as for the hair, if you think thats long you should of seen me last year. it was down to my @$$ but chicks dug it hardcore. long blondish brown locks that chicks can't help themselfs from playing with :yes: but its too f*ckin hot down here so a hair cut is coming soon

Boys, you'll never know what long hair does for you own personal "CDI" factor until you grow it out and try it. Should've seen me in 1988-1989 of course Skid Row and Warrant were in at the time...sometimes I listen to Dee Synder's House of Hair just to reminisce. I was more thrash back then though. jamminz.gif

Oh, BTW, cool doors fellas. I'll just roll my windows down though. If I keep drinking beer like I am I'd do a fat boy rolly polly swan dive right out the side of the jeep with no doors.

• 2 weeks later...

nine days later and i have my pass side door finished too :jump:

still have to grind along the door handle area and get mirrors but other then that. done! this one also warped in the exact same spot as the other but not as bad. i can live with it.

and yes, ill let this thread die now :rotf:

thanks. i actually thought about throwing in cup holders towards the front and putting a cubby hole in the bottom for a strap, tools or what have you.......but i didnt do either lol. it all came down to time is why i didnt. i had to drive 30min to use my buddies welder both times. for one door it took all day one day to fab up the pieces, then a whole day just to weld it up. i might make a second set where ill cut off the window frame part so they'll really be half doors. maybe do all that then :dunno: