Peugeot 2WD to AX15/231 Conversion

Hello,

I talked my buddy into buying a fellow club member’s MJ. It is an 2WD 87 short bed with a 4.0. It came with a RE 5.5” lift and a rear D35. It also came with the venerable Dana 35 of which we yanked immediately and put an 8.8 and started fixing it up.

And since it was 2WD, we want to remove the Peugeot and replace it with a late model AX15 4wd and a NP231.

His build 'blog' is here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1049106

The AX15 trans came with the deal of buying the MJ. We believe it came out of a later model XJ and it has what I think to be the external slave.

I needs some help establishing exactly what is needed for a day of pulling and swapping transmissions.

I have been doing a little digging and I came across this site:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

My understanding is that the current Peugeot clutch/flywheel/pressure plate will transfer over to the AX15.

I should need to buy:

• External slave unit (Hydraulic reservoir, line and external slave cylinder as one unit) Part #52104110

• Release Bearing (96 application) Part #53008342

• Fork??? (Will the Peugeot work?)

• Shifter/boot (Will the AX-5 one work? Where can I get one cheap?)

• Pilot Bearing for CJ 304-3-sp combo. Part # 690-042

• Pad Kit Part #21-109-15 (shift fork plastic)

• Bushing Part #21-118-47 (shift fork rod plastic)

• AX15 mount from a YJ (is this right?)

• Novak 231 shifter (Bling Bling :D )

• 10w30 motor oil for the AX15 and ATF for the 231

I have read that the current cross member may work. Any way to confirm this? I can fab up a cross member up if need be but just to get this thing road worthy I was hoping just to bolt it up in the time being.

I am not worried about my driveline since my driveline shop will shorten/balance the current driveline for me for $35 and I already have the YJ yolk that fits in the 231 for it as well.

I am A-OK with auto and 99% of the other workings of a MJ/XJ but I have never touched a manual transmission….go figure. Today is a great day to learn. Any assistance one may offer would be greatly appreciated.

hey, Tell your friend nice truck!!! but this should be super easy, most of what you have said is in fact true. it's not the cross member that won't work, it's the transmission-specific mount. so make sure you pick up one for ax-15. but i don't see you having any other problems.

it's not the cross member that won't work, it's the transmission-specific mount. so make sure you pick up one for ax-15. but i don't see you having any other problems.

It's both. The crossmember for the AX-15 is different than the one for every other transmission. The AX-15 crossmember has a dip in the middle.

The AX-15 crossmember is dipped down in the middle about an inch compared to the other one.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'd take some better ones personally if I could, but this is the best Google has to offer.

AX-4/5, Pukey, AW-4, TF whatever

AX-15

it's not the cross member that won't work, it's the transmission-specific mount. so make sure you pick up one for ax-15. but i don't see you having any other problems.

It's both. The crossmember for the AX-15 is different than the one for every other transmission. The AX-15 crossmember has a dip in the middle.

The AX-15 crossmember is dipped down in the middle about an inch compared to the other one.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'd take some better ones personally if I could, but this is the best Google has to offer.

AX-4/5, Pukey, AW-4, TF whatever

AX-15

Interesting. We will eventually make a flat crossmember/skid and will have to push the resting point up a tad for the trans to allow it to be flat. For now we'll then probably modify the stock crossmemebr to work and get it running. Thanks.

• External slave unit (Hydraulic reservoir, line and external slave cylinder as one unit) Part #52104110

• Novak 231 shifter (Bling Bling )

How about this list? The stuff in red I am up in the air about.

• Novak 231 shifter (Bling Bling )

How about this list? The stuff in red I am up in the air about.

"Fork," from the goat - I thought the goat has an internal set up, therefore no "fork."

Shifter boot - are you talking about the one on the floor pan or the one on the console/mini console? Either way, those are

interchangeable. I would post a wanted in the classifieds on this board, that is how I got mine (upper boot); $10 bucks delivered.

AX-15 mount, use the one that came with the tranny, or goes to that tranny.

Make sure you use 30w Synthetic for the tranny.