Rear end mileage?

I'm in the market for a new rearend, one with better gears......how concerned should i be with mileage on my junkyard searches?

i have found these 2 for instance.....

96 Cherokee Chrysler 8.25 with 4.10 gears with 94K for $150

93 Cherokee Chrysler 8.25 with 4:10NL gears with 181K for $100

both with "A" grades and at the same yard

In this case is the extra $50 worth it OR is that a really stupid question...?

I would search for a 97+ ( i believe) 8.25 as that will have 29 spline shafts and be stronger than the 27 spliners you are looking at.

As to mileage my 93 27spline in my XJ has 233k+ on it and still looks mint when I take off the cover to change the oil and does not make any sound at all.

Whatever JY axle you get CHANGE THE OIL IN IT!! I got a D30 put in my XJ by a shop (was too busy to do it myself on my DD) and when I got it back I checked the oil and it was a milkshake of water and oil in there.

I'm in the market for a new rearend, one with better gears......how concerned should i be with mileage on my junkyard searches?

i have found these 2 for instance.....

96 Cherokee Chrysler 8.25 with 4.10 gears with 94K for $150

93 Cherokee Chrysler 8.25 with 4:10NL gears with 181K for $100

both with "A" grades and at the same yard

In this case is the extra $50 worth it OR is that a really stupid question...?

Any axle you pick up should get a thoughrough going-through before you slap it under your rig. New seals, brake-check, new fluids, cleaning, painting all surfaces, etc.

Mileage shouldn't really be that big a concern. I would be more concerned with what axle is going under. Any reason you are looking at 8.25 versus 8.8 or 44's or 9" or 60 or...?

Any axle you pick up should get a thoughrough going-through before you slap it under your rig. New seals, brake-check, new fluids, cleaning, painting all surfaces, etc.

Mileage shouldn't really be that big a concern. I would be more concerned with what axle is going under. Any reason you are looking at 8.25 versus 8.8 or 44's or 9" or 60 or...?

I have no real preference. Honestly i was just looking for a better gear ratio and searching car-part.com those were from the closest yard to me with that ratio at a reasonable price. They both happened to be the 8.25.

I'm not trying to build a trail rig or anything, just a good weekend truck. Just want to get a little more grunt out of the ol 2.5...

What gears do you have now?

If you have a 2.5l auto shouldn't you already have 4.10s or maybe 4.56s

What gears do you have now?

If you have a 2.5l auto shouldn't you already have 4.10s or maybe 4.56s

3.55 :(

According to the ol turn the back tire around 2 times test.......shaft completed EXACTLY 3.5 rotations, and did i mention its an automatic......it really makes pulling out on a busy road interesting to say the least.....

You should open it and verify,does it still have an axle tag?

If you have 3.55 someone swapped axles. The only 2.5l that got 3.55 were the 4spd trucks

i have the 3spd Chrysler 904

never found a tag on the rearend (that why the tire test..) guess it wouldnt hurt to open her up though. I don't suppose there is an "easy" way to tell if its the original rearend under there?

i have the 3spd Chrysler 904

never found a tag on the rearend (that why the tire test..) guess it wouldnt hurt to open her up though. I don't suppose there is an "easy" way to tell if its the original rearend under there?

Only way to tell would be if its an XJ axle that someone chopped the perches and welded on new ones.... and that's only if they did a poor job of that.

If its a factory MJ axle, no real way to tell, especially if they re-used the old u-bolts.

But yeah, 4 cyl should be 4.10

they did....the gearing was a feeble attempt to make up for the lack of OD in the tranny.

Many, many moons ago when I first decided to convert mine to 4WD I bought a D30 from a local guy who had an 86 2.5L. I never checked the ratio, just ASSumed it was 4.10 :oops:

87-89 2.5's got the AW4, not the 904...and came with 4.56's.

Jeff