another will it fit

I'm having so very very much trouble trying to find a dana 30 outa a cherokee, comanche or grand cherokee with the 4:10 gears. I just can't do it!!! so the guy at the 4x4 place in town said a dana 30 out of a jeep wrangler 2.5 I4 "should" fit. But asked to look it up. the year range he gave me was 97-06. I just want to know will it fit? or am I better off keep looking? thanks

Brandon

Yes, 97-06 TJ wrangler front axles are bolt in, just make sure you get the brakes with it too, as they will probably be different than what you currently have and not interchange. You might find a 4:10 in a dana 30 easier by looking at older Cherokees, like 84-86 with a manual.... the V6 5 speeds were 4:10, and the 4 cylinder 5 speeds were 4:10. Might be easier to find one of them, than to find a 4 cylinder manual TJ.

It would be silly to go through the trouble of an 8.8 swap in the rear just to put a crappy TJ or ZJ D30 up front.

2.8L and 2.5L XJs/MJs aren't that hard to find but if you can't then get a later model non disco D30 preferably with the bigger joints and have it regeared,its gonna cost more but your gonna have a decent axle when your done.

TJ D30s will bolt in, but they're low pinion.

As mentioned, you will never every bit of brake hardware with the axle.

what is low pinion?

It would be silly to go through the trouble of an 8.8 swap in the rear just to put a crappy TJ or ZJ D30 up front.

2.8L and 2.5L XJs/MJs aren't that hard to find but if you can't then get a later model non disco D30 preferably with the bigger joints and have it regeared,its gonna cost more but your gonna have a decent axle when your done.

why do you say a TJ dana 30 is crappy? I don't know why but I just can't find a dana 30 with 4:10 gears. Ive used car part.com and nothing comes up. Ill try the earlyer years but idk if any thing will come up

Brandon

ive tried car-part.com, every year cherokee from 84-97 and can't find any thing. You try maybe I'm doing somthing wrong my zip is 33542. I hit the ones with vacuum disconnect 4:10 and nothing shows up. :(

Brandon

I would get a D30 without the disconnect.

Low pinion is weaker then high pinion,high pinion also will give you better driveline angles.

Image Not Found

See if you can find a D30 non disconnect with 3.55 gears from an XJ, I payed $150 for mine then buy a set of 4.10s (about $200) and have it regeared. Labor shouldn't be all that much as it doesn't take a professional long to do.

I would get a D30 without the disconnect.

Low pinion is weaker then high pinion,high pinion also will give you better driveline angles.

Image Not Found

See if you can find a D30 non disconnect with 3.55 gears from an XJ, I payed $150 for mine then buy a set of 4.10s (about $200) and have it regeared. Labor shouldn't be all that much as it doesn't take a professional long to do.

vacuum disconnect makes it so you don't have to go out and lock the hubs right? If so they I am looking for one with vacuum disconnect. If within a few days I can't find one then I will have to go out and buy a dana 30 and re gear it. I don't want to re gear it because thats even more time and $ then I want to spend. are all tj's low pinion? Or can you find one that is high pinion? thanks

Brandon

No stock D30 has hubs,you just pull the lever and go. The disconnect has a lot of problems and most people remove them anyway so I would just get one without it. The disco also uses a two piece axle on one side that's weaker then the one piece non disco axle.

No TJ should have come high pinion,YJs are but they are leaf sprung.

The MJ/XJ HP D30 non diso with 297 joints is the strongest D30 you could get factory. Anything else will be weaker

typical price for regearing an axle is 400-600 bucks.

Get that $350 TJ axle. The low-vs-high argument is just splitting hairs. plenty of TJ owners out there rockin' their stock axles. plus it'll have the bigger U-joints. :thumbsup: