231 or 242 transfercase

231 or 242  

1 member has voted

1. 1. 231 or 242

well i asked the old man he said that i would get less mpg with the 242 but i want something thats bullet proof thats going to last

pete i got pics of my lift and stuff but i can't put them on here having the same problem again lol can u help me out

getting less mpgs is a myth. I've noticed no difference between 2wd and awd in our Libby.

also, THERE'S STILL 2WD AVAILABLE!!! It's not a full-time case. And it has locked 4wd high-range too. It's got all of the above. :D

Both t-case are going to last. we're just splitting hairs when it comes to longevity. yes, the 231 is "stronger", but it's not that much stronger. Both will do you fine.

I guess it depends what you plan to do with your jeep.

For offroad I would stick with the 231,stock its stronger built its much stronger and has aftermarket support,its also more common if you do need to replace it.

If you use your jeep on wet or icy pavement alot then I would get a 242

It was my understanding that stock for stock the 231 and the 242 are similar or the 242 is a hair stronger. If you update to a non-hack-and-tap short tailshaft then you will get a thicker mainshaft, which is substantially stronger.

Even if I am wrong and the 231 is stronger (it can't be stronger by much) the weak link is the case and they are ridiculously difficult to break anyway.

Stock for stock the 231 is stronger,not by much but it is stronger.

We have established that it would not be a strength upgrade question is does the OP plan to keep it stock and would he benefit from the full time 4wd on the road.

I can really appreciate the 242 over the 231 for on-road use myself. It also doesn't hurt trying to tow around certain bends...I hated my TJ 231 whereas I loved my ZJ 242...then again my favorite has to be the WJ 247 I used to have. No thinking just goose the skinny pedal as you please jamminz.gif

Thing is the OP is asking about offroad use not pavement.

For his purpose he should just leave the 231 in there,its a little stronger and can be upgraded if he wishes.

I don't see the point in going to the 242 if he doesn't need the full time 4wd

Thing is the OP is asking about offroad use not pavement.

For his purpose he should just leave the 231 in there,its a little stronger and can be upgraded if he wishes.

I don't see the point in going to the 242 if he doesn't need the full time 4wd

You're right. The only time the 242 helped me off the pavement was when running high speed on mountain roads that weren't paved. I only used full-time so I would get good turning in some conditions but yeah its not as vital for everyone.

Don't think he poll matters because it is still broken.

For Jeepspeed (I imagine desert) I would not go with either. The high torque and horsepower needed would need alrger transfer case than that. And a larger engine than the 4.0

Running the 4.0 I would go with the 231. Only time I think a 242 is going to really be helpful is on gravel or snow covered roads.

For an offroad rig, especially one that has to survive high speed racing, it's all about strength, where the 231 is a bit better. But building a dual purpose rig that can do well in Jeepspeed AND crawl is expensive. Otherwise you end up with a compromise that sucks at both.

well the rules of jeep speed is the jeep has to be almost stock motor wise u can stroke it out but it has to have a 4.0 based engine and suspension has to be a certain length too the rules of jeep speed are way strict. I'm just looking for something that i can do both of jeepspeed and crawl

I'll add a little something to the strength argument. The 242 transfer case is a very common swap for the Grand Cherokee ZJ 5.9L crowd since the stock case (the 249) usually has the viscous coupler go bad relatively early. Those trucks are putting out 250HP and 350Ft-Lb. of torque in their stock form (A LOT more torque than any era 4.0L). Many of the guys that have done the 242 swap in their ZJ's are putting out much more than that because of various modifications. Although most of the guys aren't off-roading their rigs, they are taking them to the drag strip, which is another brutal environment for drivetrains. I have yet to hear of any of those guys breaking their transfer case.