What was your first project car?

kyleag89

Just bored and wanted to start a thread to see what you guys where into/built before we all got the Jeep/comanche bug.

This was my baby 91 RS with 350 4 bolt, comp roller cam, edelbrock ti-tech headers, 3" dual flowmaster, 4" functional ram air hood, B&M shift kit with 2700 stall, mega shifter(ratchet), 4:10 posi rear, dropped 0.5", and more I can't remember.

EDIT: Her name was candycane

1988 XJ Laredo, 4.0/Pukey/231/D30/35.

Guy wanted $1800, but took $1200 since he got his turbines back.

The thing was an oil dumping POS. But I freaking loved that thing. I really regret having to scrap it (pre-CC)

Wasn't there something else of importance you scrapped? Maybe a certain rare pickup?

Rob L. :D

:thwak: Meanwhile back on topic , 1st project , '53 Ford with a de-stroked Edsel /Tri-power carbs / Fender exit headers ( w/quick release dump-caps ) / 9" locker / Model A straight front axel . .....High school hot rods were all the rage in 1965 :thumbsup:

WAAAAYYYY back in 1966 bought a 57 chevy wagon and started building. After a nice green paint job with two black racing stripes over it and a somewhat built 327 in it my brother and I won D Class and Eliminator Cheater Stock at the Port Orford Oregon Drag strip. But the front end was loosing alignment all the time. Found out the frame had been bent. The 57 was replaced by a 55 two door base station wagon (I was a surfer; needed room for my board!). The 327 got balanced and blueprinted and guaranteed to 10,000 rpm. Had 525 HP, a GTO 4 speed, Steel/Fiber clutch system, and 4:56 posi rear with cheater slicks. Outside looked ugly, but drive train .... SCARY!!! :thumbsup:

:thwak: Meanwhile back on topic , 1st project , '53 Ford with a de-stroked Edsel /Tri-power carbs / Fender exit headers ( w/quick release dump-caps ) / 9" locker / Model A straight front axel . .....High school hot rods were all the rage in 1965 :thumbsup:

Amazing the stuff we came up with in the 60's! Wasn't my first build, but I had a 50 chevy 2 door coupe that was repainted a turquoise color, put a floor shift in it, put masking tape diagonal racing stripes on it, split the exhaust so had duals coming out the back, and chained the hood shut so people would think I had a screamer! :nuts: But, was a stock 216 that had the things on the bottom of the rod caps to dip oil out of the pan!

1973 vw baja bug (no pics, sorry) followed by two sandrails, my first DD when I could finally drive was an '85 vw cabriolet, then a '92 vw corrado while I was building my first MJ (the 3800).

yes...I used to be a vw guy. i've since cut my hair and tried to grow a beard to fit in here...

First project was a 1934 Chevy,Pulled the original 216 'stovebolt and replaced it with a 260 from a '35 GMC. Cut the body off from the firewall back and just had the front seat for interior. Used it to chase coyotes and jackrabbits on the prairie. I was 14 at the time and it cost me the grand sum $7. Got $10 for it when I sold it, the pieces of it, to a junkyard a year later. Sorry. No pics.

1973 vw baja bug (no pics, sorry) followed by two sandrails, my first DD when I could finally drive was an '85 vw cabriolet, then a '92 vw corrado while I was building my first MJ (the 3800).

yes...I used to be a vw guy. i've since cut my hair and tried to grow a beard to fit in here...

LOVED the bugs! We had a 66 back in 1971 when first married! They were fun to drive. except on a windy day on a two lane road and a semi went by the other way. I think it would actually move a few inches to the right!

First project was a 1956 chevy 1/2 ton stepside. Took two trips to get it all hauled home. Pulled the original straight six and replaced it with a mild 350. Learned how to mig weld on that one. Still have it in my father in laws garage.....needs a little tlc though. Been a few other odds and end cars since then but now have my baby........1968 plymouth sport satellite......built 440, 727 trans with shift kit, and 3:91 gears.... :D Started as a stripped out shell with no motor and trans and a whole lot of dings and dents

Mine was a 1995 Ford Taurus gl 3.0 V6. Best 1st car to ever have!!! It was a family friends then it went to my granddad then to me all in the same year. I was the 3rd owner. Kept her running great. I ragged the he'll out of It every time I got i'n the drivers seat. I off roaded more i'n that then I do my Comanche lol took it down 20 mile dirt roads all the time to go fishing with 5+ friends, drifted around corners no, went kidding i'n it every other weekend even pulled an f-250 out stuck up to the frame :eek: that wasn't any good for her lol I raced every one of my friends and beet them every time. Just like sommany of y'all say it's all about how you drive if you can't drive you just won't win. Put a 15" and a 12" kicker subs i'n the truck rives it so I spit the wires off the back speakers :roll: put really BAd speakers i'n the rear hit so hard. For my 17th B-day I got cammo seet covers for the rear bench and front buckets. Had bullet chains to hang over the front seers to. Hen I wanted a truck found a guy witha red jeep Comanche why wanted a car :D so I got the truck and gave him the car and a 100 bucks. God I miss that car I'll get her back one day

Brandon

Mine was a 1995 Ford Taurus gl 3.0 V6. Best 1st car to ever have!!! It was a family friends then it went to my granddad then to me all in the same year. I was the 3rd owner. Kept her running great. I ragged the he'll out of It every time I got i'n the drivers seat. I off roaded more i'n that then I do my Comanche lol took it down 20 mile dirt roads all the time to go fishing with 5+ friends, drifted around corners no, went kidding i'n it every other weekend even pulled an f-250 out stuck up to the frame :eek: that wasn't any good for her lol I raced every one of my friends and beet them every time. Just like sommany of y'all say it's all about how you drive if you can't drive you just won't win. Put a 15" and a 12" kicker subs i'n the truck rives it so I spit the wires off the back speakers :roll: put really BAd speakers i'n the rear hit so hard. For my 17th B-day I got cammo seet covers for the rear bench and front buckets. Had bullet chains to hang over the front seers to. Hen I wanted a truck found a guy witha red jeep Comanche why wanted a car :D so I got the truck and gave him the car and a 100 bucks. God I miss that car I'll get her back one day

Brandon

Sorry man, but you really, really, reeeeeaaaalllllly need so slow down. I pride myself on being able to decipher rough handwriting, and poor grammar, and I had one hell of a time decrypting your post. And There are still a few mysteries...

I need to go lay down now.

Rob L.

LOVED the bugs! We had a 66 back in 1971 when first married! They were fun to drive. except on a windy day on a two lane road and a semi went by the other way. I think it would actually move a few inches to the right!

Another VW guy here.... first one was a 1973 Super Beetle bought from a neighbor to work on as a project in auto body class, I bought a BUNCH of stuff for that car, put a fresh coat of paint on it, then.... went to college, the 73 never got finished, and I never got to drive it. But there were about a dozen other VW's in there after that one, including the 72 I took to college, the 72 Karmann Ghia I bought before finishing college, and a long list of others including a 73 Ghia convertable, and a slammed 59 Microbus panel van, and a couple or rabbits including a diesel. Then there was my last one I sold a year ago, a slammed 68 Beetle. I still want to build a rail, but last fall I sold all my extra VW parts to make room for Jeep stuff, so when the time comes, Ill have to start fresh. :roll:

OHHHHHH! Ghia's! Always wanted one!

Speaking of VW's, a guy I graduated with went to work for the VW/Porsche dealership in town. In the 1970's he built a VW with every trick you could think of, and with a jazz of the throttle would hit 8 grand and back to a 1.5 grand idle in about a second! Wheelied in three gears! Ate 327's, 396's, and even a few 440's for breakfast! What a screamer! Little white VW gutted of all unnecessary weight with flames on the side, cheater slicks on the back, and narrow parelli's on the front, sitting about two inches lower in the front! Wicked! Those weber downdrafts coming up through the "bonnet" in the back were really cool looking! If unsure, consider hp to weight ratio! 250 hp in a 4 cyl was like 600 in a normal sized Muscle car of that era!

Brandon

Sorry man, but you really, really, reeeeeaaaalllllly need so slow down. I pride myself on being able to decipher rough handwriting, and poor grammar, and I had one hell of a time decrypting your post. And There are still a few mysteries...

I need to go lay down now.

Rob L.

:doh: I half way typed this and asked a friend of mine to fix it up and Finnish it while I was painting a wall. As you can tell he didn't lol and to say I did all of that on an iPod lol I will fix this when I get home tonight until then sorry.