New To Forum and Very Thankful For It!

I recently purchased my first MJ and and am beginning to get it back in shape/condition. I found this forum site about 10 days ago and each day since have read lots of Great Ideas and Solutions. The amount of information compiled is amazing and my Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'll do my best to share anything and everything I can.

That said, here are a couple of questions I have so far that I haven't been able to find answers to:

1. Which year models full length consoles from xj's will work in my 88 4X4 5spd?..is the automatic console the "same" as the 5 spd? or do I need to locate a console from a 5 spd model? How paintable/dyable are they?

2. According to several posts, the MJ taillights are unique. Which years are interchangeable with my 88?

That's it for now. Thanks again and Best Regards to All.

2. According to several posts, the MJ taillights are unique. Which years are interchangeable with my 88?

Welcome!

MJ taillights were only on MJ's and certain motorhomes, and are interchangable for all years MJ. Nobody makes a reproduction or aftermarket light, so your only options are junkyard or ebay for a used pair (for OEM); or you can make your own housing and put in LED's.

ANYTIME I go to a yard, I check EVERY MJ for taillights and pull them. I either keep them as a spare or ebay them, with the last set bought for $5 each and sold on ebay $40 for the pair. I never put a reserve, so anything over cost plus shipping is good in my book. I have lost $$$ on a few sets, I have made money on a few sets. it all balances out.

Thanks for the info and clarification on the MJ tailights. I'll keep that in mind when I'm at my firendly jy. Right now I don't need either side but spares would be nice to have...

Check out this guy's thread, looks like he painted some plastic and vinyl with good results. Can't remember if he said what product.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12812&start=15

Also I read thru the thread on the color changed console but didn't understand exactly what he used. I'll re-read again..

Yes the truck is from TN..do you know it?

Thanks again...

A dealer had a truck like that in Murfreesboro. It was on Auto Trader and Nashville CL as late as last week. I'm pretty close and wanted to go look at it, never did. Very nice truck. If I spend 5k, I want an AX15 tranny and a D44. (Me just being picky, sure I would have been happy with it, oh well)Thats not a knock against the truck, just my preferences. If I spend 5k, my dream truck is in the classifieds right here. I think Duplicolor sells a vinyl product, might send him a personal message.

I recently purchased my first MJ and and am beginning to get it back in shape/condition. I found this forum site about 10 days ago and each day since have read lots of Great Ideas and Solutions. The amount of information compiled is amazing and my Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'll do my best to share anything and everything I can.

That said, here are a couple of questions I have so far that I haven't been able to find answers to:

1. Which year models full length consoles from xj's will work in my 88 4X4 5spd?..is the automatic console the "same" as the 5 spd? or do I need to locate a console from a 5 spd model? How paintable/dyable are they?

That's it for now. Thanks again and Best Regards to All.

The consoles are the same between auto and stick, just have a different insert to the shifter or boot, also the same for 2wd and 4wd, theres another insert in place of the TC shifter if its 2wd. And Ive had luck painting door panels with Krylon plastic paint, did the set in my truck now to match the black interior, theyre holding up pretty good so far, but with the soft vinyl like on the center armrest, it may take FOREVER for the paint to satisfactorily dry.

And taillights, all years interchange.

IIRC and I'm unsure but I think i read up to 92' the floor/console was the same. Maybe that was just for the seat brackets though. I just bought my MJ back that i sold 6 years ago and I'm looking into changing/dying the interior as well. Maroon exterior with red interior isnt cutting it. What was Chrysler/AMC thinking :clapping: :nuts: