a random act of culture

mjeff87

The largest functioning pipe organ in the world is located in the Macy's department store in downtown Philadelphia. The organ is played daily at noon while shoppers visit the store, as well as for many after-hours special events and concerts.

On Saturday, 10/30/2010, a special event "happened." While the store was filled with ordinary shoppers, more than 600 "shoppers" burst into a full chorus of the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah." The "happening" event was staged by the Philadelphia Opera Company and engaged volunteers from just about every school, church and singing group in the city. This little 5-minute clip really deserves a look and listen.

The organ is known around the world as the "Wanamaker Organ" because John Wanamaker installed this 28,500+ pipe instrument in the "Grand Hall" at the center of his 7-story department store. The cross-shaped store opened in 1909 and fills a city block. The entire top floor is set up as a pipe organ maintenance and repair shop and once engaged 40 employees to expand and maintain the instrument.

Yeah...it was a staged event.....but how awesome is that??? The whole PC "happy holidays" crowd can choke on it.....it's MERRY CHRISTMAS where I come from :thumbsup:

Jeff

I'm anti-christmas-until-a-week-before-it-happens.

day after thanksgiving, it's all cd's and mp3's until the week of christmas, up to a week after. I don't get a tree til christmas eve, and lights go up for that day, xmas day, and the day after...then come down.

i HATE when people have it all up before thanksgiving, at least wait til the day after...and even then, I'm not a fan.

no offense meant...this is all a nice gesture, and it's great that people get in the spirit of it...I just don't want to spend 2 months thinking about it.

day after thanksgiving, it's all cd's and mp3's until the week of christmas, up to a week after. I don't get a tree til christmas eve, and lights go up for that day, xmas day, and the day after...then come down.

i HATE when people have it all up before thanksgiving, at least wait til the day after...and even then, I'm not a fan.

no offense meant...this is all a nice gesture, and it's great that people get in the spirit of it...I just don't want to spend 2 months thinking about it.

I agree 110%. Hate I cannot even listen to the radio till new years starting the day after thanksgiving.

A recent You Tube song done by a father/daughter team came about when the daughters 8 year old nephew, when seeing all the kids lined up at the mall to see santa and say "I want, I want", asked, "where's the line for Jesus?" What I hate about this time of year is how mankind has replaced Jesus with Santa, and the time of year that's about the gift God gave us in Christ is turned into a commercialized and often greedy feeding frenzy as seen with Black Friday as people will push and shove, belittle and berate, grab and take.

So, hate what man had done to this time of year by remembering what it's really about. At the church I serve we double our services and involve the kids in things that focus on what this time of year is really all about. We take our midweek school students to a nursing home and then a Veterans home where the put on a birth of Jesus skit with singing some familiar Christmas hymns, the residents joining in, and our Sunday School puts on a Christmas Eve program for the congregation where the SS students are immersed in reading from Holy Scripture what it's really all about. Like a saying from a short time ago said; He's the Reason for the Season.

That is awesome!! I'd be trying to sing as well though not very well. I decorate after December 1st (whatever weekend that is) and it stays up untill New Years Day, after which it all comes down. If I'm gonna decorate it has to be up for a couple weeks to justify decorating, if not why bother for just one day?

My $.02

now thats intense man. id hate to be your kid. i do agree with not throwing up every light or tree until it is actually near christmas but putting that stuff up in the beginning of december is the right time to do it. sure you don't have to go all out with it but damn its called holiday spirit! the longest id leave lights up AFTER xmas is new years. i mean you put up $#!& for that anyway. as for the radio i can't believe people still listen to it! lol jk. down here only one or two stations play christmas music. the rest stick to their format like they should.