Registry questions.

Automan2164

There has been quite a few inquiries on the reason for the registry, and I would like to take this time to answer some. The biggest has been why do we register...

I believe there are many reasons to register. One of the best is vehicle tracking. It lets us keep track of how many MJ's are somewhat still out there. Ideally, every member here would register every MJ we find. Junkyards, parking lots, our own. Then we can try to track trends. As we can already tell, the most registered MJ in there is the '88. Which is cool, because it follows with the '88 being the year with the biggest production number.

I would also say its a good tool to see an average on longbeds/shorts, Eliminators... Etc... Just as the '88's proved the same, with a big enough sample group, we could estimate the percentages of what/which packages were made for each year. We will have holes, obviously, as MJ's have been getting junked and parted out since they started being sold in dealers, but we can make some good calculations. If you've noticed, if you match up some of the closer VIN's in the same year with leaving out the serial number (last 6 digits), you will end up finding similar trucks. The VIN will tell you the length of the bed, the engine and trans combo, 4x4/2WD, and column shift or floor shift auto. They will also identify the package in the VIN. With enough time and looking at them, like myself, you'll be able to walk up, and tell the year and the package just by the sequence.

The most important reason would be to nail down the last/first few MJ's. This is the No. 1 reason for me. In an ideal world, Chrysler would let me have a Dealer Connect password, and I would decode everyone's VIN's for you and be able to tell you when your truck was made, where the original dealer was, and all the fun junk. So far, I think the last 3 I know of are 4/23/92 (STERLING STINGER's '92) 4/24/92 (My Green Eliminator), and 5/3/92 (Members name escapes me). I strongly urge anyone with a '92 to register it, and all to register any '92's we find. It would be awesome to find the member with the oldest '86 too. If you want to know your exact build date, just call your local Jeep dealer, and ask for the parts department. Give them your VIN, and they should be able to look it up. I know we have a few members that work for Chrysler, and have the access to Dealer Connect, but I don't want everyone to start hassling them for the info.

Anywho, I think that covers the biggest reasons...

Rob L. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
The most important reason would be to nail down the last/first few MJ's. This is the No. 1 reason for me.

Rob, What is the earliest known 86 you have seen?

I know you can tell by the last six numbers in the VIN how early or late it is. The vin on Betty has me wondering if she might be an extremly early 86,

1JTHL6517GT003550

I think that means she is the 3550 truck off the line in 86.

:hmm:

The most important reason would be to nail down the last/first few MJ's. This is the No. 1 reason for me.

I know you can tell by the last six numbers in the VIN how early or late it is. The vin on Betty has me wondering if she might be an extremly early 86,

1JTHL6517GT003550

Could be Bo. Call the dealer and see if the parts department can shoot you a date of Mfr. Also, I have found holes in the serial number thing, some don't match up in chronological order. But, another thing to note is I was told that the MJ/XJ's shared assy lines, and serial number sequences... So even though you might have a 3550, you might only be the 100th MJ off the line, since they made so many XJ's.

Rob L.

1JTHL6517GT003550

Could be Bo. Call the dealer and see if the parts department can shoot you a date of Mfr. Also, I have found holes in the serial number thing, some don't match up in chronological order. But, another thing to note is I was told that the MJ/XJ's shared assy lines, and serial number sequences... So even though you might have a 3550, you might only be the 100th MJ off the line, since they made so many XJ's.

Rob L.

Tried to run the vin, shows vin not found. your local parts dept will likely come up with the same response. those were deep amc years, and chrysler doesnt have that info. you might try your luck with the direct email to the factory about it, maybe they have better info on those models.

That's not really all that early in the model year. 86 models would have started appearing in Oct./Nov. 85...

I did not say that was the build date. It was the day it showed up to get a lein put on it. Probably sold to the first owner.

I wish I could read the build date on the door.

I will give a $20 reward to whoever can tell me when this truck was built and have documentation to back up your claim.