F 150 springs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard that if you put F150 coil springs in the front it will lift the truck 2-3" form factory.

is this true, and what year F150 springs can i use, and if i use F250 springs will i get more lift from it?

thanks any info will greatly help me. 8)

Yes, it will lift the front end.

How much depends on the donor truck. Ford had regular and HD coils available in most year sets.

The downside though is you will get a VERY rough ride. I used a set from a factory 2wd 302 equipped(softest spring rate) 1984, on a XJ. It rode like it was on bricks. I quickly removed those and bought proper coils for it.

The F-1-fiddy coils are probably about 210lb/in.

The T-bird one is about 140lb/in.

Most aftermarket coils are 150lb/in, or less.

so how much height would those give? i would imagine fiddy coils are longer unloaded than thebirdy coils.

i thought REs were 180+??

I have no idea why I can't read.

F-150 coils give upwards of 4-4.5"~. They're actually SHORTER than the XJ/MJ coils, IIRC.

Thunderturd coils are about 3.5-4"~.

The only 180lb/in coils that RE sells are the ZJ ones and possibly if they make an 8" XJ/MJ coil. 180lb/in is too stiff.

The stock coil is on the right (bottom), and a Ford coil is on the left (top). I'm not sure if they're from an F-1, F-2, or T-Bird, but I tried installing them on a Cherokee and they lifted the Jeep too much to remount the stock LCAs.

These coils are Way heavier than the stock coils, and looking at their thickness, they would ride like absolute hell.

i just got back from the junk yard and got a set of t-bird springs for $22 and took them over to a XJ and they were about 2-3 inches longer than a XJ spring both having no weight on them

thanks i should have pic of them on the truck tomarrow hopefully

:D :D :D

i just got back from the junk yard and got a set of t-bird springs for $22 and took them over to a XJ and they were about 2-3 inches longer than a XJ spring both having no weight on them

Looks like I'm a little late on this post. I was gonna say that I happen to have an '86 cougar that I'm willing to part out that originally had a V6 in it.

Looks like I'm a little late on this post. I was gonna say that I happen to have an '86 cougar that I'm willing to part out that originally had a V6 in it.

wanna give away the coils free in the interest of finding out how much lift they give?!? ;)

but seriously. how much? 30047

Oizarod115, if you want to wait until lower jeep has his installed and has measurements to see if that's what you're looking for, that's fine by me. I wouldn't be able to get to my car for a few weeks or so anyways, as I have it for sale as a whole locally (doubtful anyone will buy it) and wouldn't really wanna rip into it and then have someone interested in it. Either way, just PM an offer, and I'll look into shipping on monday. lower jeep, sorry for the temporary

tonite i just got done putting my new t-bird springs on and was surprised at how much lift i got from them

i started at a little bit under 28" ot the top of the wheel opening (realize i had drop springs on it) and after i put them on I'm at about 33" to the top of the wheel openings

right now i am runnig a 215/50R15 tire that is about 25" tall and after christmas i hope to talk with my neigbor and get a set of rockcrawler wheels and a set of 31X10 tire but not sure of what type of tires i want

i want them to be kind of agressive but not agressive like a set of tractor tires

let me know what kind of tires you think i want

the truck is not going to see a lot of mud or any thing I'm building it to look like a prerunner or Baja style truck

tonite i just got done putting my new t-bird springs on and was surprised at how much lift i got from them

i started at a little bit under 28" ot the top of the wheel opening (realize i had drop springs on it) and after i put them on I'm at about 33" to the top of the wheel openings

right now i am runnig a 215/50R15 tire that is about 25" tall and after christmas i hope to talk with my neigbor and get a set of rockcrawler wheels and a set of 31X10 tire but not sure of what type of tires i want

i want them to be kind of agressive but not agressive like a set of tractor tires

the truck is not going to see a lot of mud or any thing I'm building it to look like a prerunner or Baja style truck

PICS PICS PICS...

what year/engine t-bird?

Well, for tire selection, it's thought that you can't go to aggressive, because you never know when you'll end up where you don't want to be.

ProComp XTerrains, Toyo Open Country M/Ts, BFG M/Ts, BFG Bajas (at $400 a tire though!!!!), pretty much most any mud terrain is desired, but Boggers and Swampers.

If you want an A/T for a particular look or for road mileage, BFG A/Ts, Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Nitto Mud Grapplers, and Nitto Terra Grapplers have all been well proven as well.

I just got a set of Toyo A/Ts for my prerunner :D