Vacuum canister

'86 2.5 904 207

The PO ripped off the vacuum canister cause it wasn't mounted properly and he was tired of the rattling. He then threw it on the ground and it hasn't been seen since. I hate working with this guy and knowing where my MJs been.

Anyways... I got an oval one with 2 vaccum nipples on each end from the JY, and apparently the stock one was like a softball, but I don't know what the connections on it were.

What do I need or can I make this oval canister work?

I went diging through boxes and found my oblong canister from the 4.0 and it has 4 lines, 2 on each side. I think it has 2 seprate canisters in 1. so you could just use 1 side of it and leave the other side alone. i don't really know what it goes to maybe the axle disconnect? or the vent controls? I never tracked them down.

My 87 has a all rubber hose that runs from the intake to the reservoir, and a plastic one that comes off it that ties in to the vacuum system. Most any reservoir should work for you. Just make sure it isn't cracked and holds vacuum.

i have an 86 , 2.5L , it has an oblong one and there are 4 outlets, 2 on each side so like jeepthing said it might be 2 canisters in 1. the larger size vacum hose goes to the intake manifold, the smaller size hose goes to the heater controls in the dash. not sure if this is the same with all other mj's but thats how it is on my parts truck. also it doesn't have air conditioning so i'm not sure if that effects anything. i can try to get some pics if that'll help.

The oblong "blimp" will work. It has two chambers. That one was for vehicles with cruise control, which also operated from engine vacuum. Just cap one set of outlets to keep junk out of the unused chamber and hook up your vacuum lines to the other end.

mine is also missing completely, kinda of a big deal or no??? i was told it will run fine without it, but it is not runing at the moment...lol

it wil run, but you'll need to plug the hose so you don't have a vacuum leak. It stores vacuum for the HVAC controls to move the motors in the dash. wihout it you'll be stuck on defrost.

mine is also missing completely, kinda of a big deal or no??? i was told it will run fine without it, but it is not runing at the moment...lol

it wil run, but you'll need to plug the hose so you don't have a vacuum leak. It stores vacuum for the HVAC controls to move the motors in the dash. wihout it you'll be stuck on defrost.

Actually, he won't be stuck on defrost. When he's cruising or going downhill, the heater controls will work just fine. Going uphill or accelerating, the vacuum drops and the heater controls will mysteriously direct heat away from your feet and up to the windshield. You don't absolutely "need" the blimp -- but it does have a purpose.

I have the round one in my 88 2,5 lts.

And I loose vacuum in the heater/air condition controls when i have the throtle fully open. No cracks , new hoses, but vacuum goes.

I have always wondered why it is located down there in the right hand side of the front bumper................................

Does any one know why?

I have always wondered why it is located down there in the right hand side of the front bumper................................

Does any one know why?

My guess is that the space behind the bumper was empty and some engineer found a use for it by putting the vacuum canister there. :D

My crazy idea was that the bumper is good place to keep air cold inside the canister. Vaccum decreases if air temperature goes up.

I found no reason to use such long hoses to go to the bumper and then go back to the dashboard.

BUt as I said, it can be a crazy idea..............................

Regards