wiring amazement

okay so my 87 inline 6 will turn over it seems to have a timing issue but thats the least of the worries

to begin it is a wiring mess when i first stick the key in and turn to lock it makes and awful buzzing noise underneath the steering column

when i turn it to on i am getting no juice to the fuel pump i think i had found the pump relay but not shore is this a ecu problem or what i replaced everything to do with spark

the resister i don't know where that is what does it look like

i changed out the ignition switch the only change from before is now the fuel pump is priming which is wasnt before

it still is not starting when i first did it, it wouldnt even turn over i know that there are these two medal rods that run the steering column one goes to the ignition switch what does the other do its seeded on a spring loaded whit plastic peice

not to mention nothing works accessory wise either headlights, windshield wipers, turn signals

it is turning over tho same as before

The ground for the accessories is down on the lower driver's side of the dash under the headlight switch. Check that, as well as the tightness of the grounds by the fusible links.

Check the fuel pump ballast (driver's side fender well by the air box). Make sure both wires are attached. If you are undertain it is good, make a short jumper wire and connect the two leads. Also - check for fuel - the gauge can sometimes be wrong.

The two rods are for (1) the ignition switch and (2) the high beam headlight switch. The "spring-loaded" white switch you speak of is the high beam switch. make absolutely sure both ignition switch plugs are fully inserted.

Check for spark at the coil by using a spark tester (do NOT pull a spark plug and lay it on the valve cover unless you want to light up your life!). Pull distributor cap and check for moisture inside and carbon deposits on cap and rotor. Check stator is not too rusty (however - if you are getting spark at the coil then you're getting spark at the plugs)

Let us know about these things and then we'll go from there.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
i know that there are these two medal rods that run the steering column one goes to the ignition switch what does the other do its seeded on a spring loaded whit plastic peice

i think you and i have the same problem. only difference is ive only seen (or been able to mess with) my MJ once. its sitting at my girlfriends dads house about fifty miles away. if i can start it and get it home, its mine comanche.gif

when i got there, most peices to the steering column were taken off and on the floor, though i did some disassembly to these "metal rods"

all the work was done in the dark. we went trhough about 4 bulbs with the droplight before calling it quits for the night, but i did discover that this other metal rod you are thinking of goes to the steering lock. there is a metal plate under the steering wheel with notches cut out of it for the rod to slide into to lock the wheel. when we pryed this rod out (with the spring and white plastic peice falling to the floor) the wheel was no longer locked and would turn freely