What cage to use as a start

Well its time for me to order up my roll cage stuff. Instead of starting out titally fresh from rough drawings, I figure it would be easier to start with a roll cage kit from a truck and modify it to my rig. Pretty much my choices are limited to Ford ranger, chevy S-10, Toyota, or finding a company that makes an XJ cage and just buying the front hoop, and B-pillar hoop, and fabbing up the rest myself. I don't know if that would be the strongest of setup either.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Patrick

For something as complex as a cage, I would find a local with a bender and go full custom. It seems a whole lot easier than trying to alter a kit. If a bar is off by an inch or a few degrees, it'll become a huge hassle to make it work. I sought out a local fab guy with a bender for my rollbar. It allowed me to create my own design to work around my needs. He even had a computer program that calculated all the bends and cuts he needed to make. I also recommend an external cage. It's infinitely easier than trying to weld inside of a small cab. I've seen plenty of ugly ones and my future cage will be much more subdued. Another benefit of the external cage is protection for the cab. An internal cage seems like such a waste of effort when a single slow motion off-camber collision with a tree can write off the entire truck in one fell swoop. To me, building a cage is about saving my baby as much as it is about saving my head. :D

Jeep on!

--Pete

The top will be a simple hoop and the A-pillar down bars will be hidden behind the fenders. Just ignore the green lines, I haven't decided whether I truly want to do that. I'm lookint for a minimum of armor and the cab is the hardest thing to replace. Besides, a little damage looks cool. :D

The reason why I am going with an interior cage first is, you still have to be able to mount your seats to a cage for it to be totally safe. Also I don't trust pressed sheetmetal to keep my seats located in any kinda roll or flop. I also plan on doing an exo-cage, but that is going to come once I loose the bed, and buy a full cell. The guy with the green Cj-5 in that video link I posted is goint to do my exo once I am ready for it.

Basically I am going to call around today and order an xj front hoop and "B" pillar hoop. I can buy the DOM tubing locally cheaper then it would be to buy it and have it shipped.

I will post up what I find out about buying the 2 hoops and the what not.

Patrrick

I kinda did what you suggested Pete, I found a local shop that is willing to work with me on building me what I want, and I plan on driving up there in the next few days to see what he can do for me.

Pete on yuor design I think a min Bpillar hoop that kinda protects the side of your cab would be a good idea, as well as something to protect the rear of your bed. MY whole passenger side is trashed cause of lack of protection in these areas. Mostly due to off camber stuff, and a bit of the jeep going where the skinny pedal put it :shock:

I hear you about the seat mounts. I was contemplating building mounts that came up from the floor and are tied into..., well, I'm not sure what they tie into yet. As I understand it, the reason other rigs tie their seats into the cage is becase in the event of a harsh roll-over, the cab can separate from the frame (which is what the cage is attached to if they are smart). That can't possibly happen with our trucks, so I'm thinkin' we may just need to strengthen the mounts and tie them into the structure better. Oh and remember that XJ and MJ floors are very different behind the seats.

Jeep on!

--Pete

Yes the Xj and Mj are different behind the seats. A bolt in cage is not an option in MY rig. I care to much about my mellon to trust that.

Pete I hear you on the body seperating fom the frame, but I don't want to trust 15+ yr old sheetmetal to keep my seats in place. It is better to be safe then dead/injured in this case. PLus Bolting my 5 point harnessesto sheetmetal isnt a very strong option.

The shop I am talking to is saying for around 1500-2000 I can get a full cage, front exo cage, and a tube bed built. I am going to take my rig up there, and let him show me a few drawings after I show him some pics of what I have in mind. I might not end up going with him, but it is worth my gas to do it.

Keep in mind the cheapest thing I have found that closely fits what I need is 450 shipped, and that is not including the bed, or the labor involved in doing it. I trust my welding, but I won't trust my life on it.

Patrick