jb weld? updated*

hey... i just found out that my Peugoet BA 10/5 bellhousing is cracked which can't hold the transmission while depressing the clutch so ill unable get in gear while engine running so i did tried weld it with my MIG w/out argon gas... its didnt weld well and keep snapped off. i know i should get argon gas tho.

so will jb weld able hold bellhousing together to the transmission for temporary?

Probably not but might be worth trying, for a temporary fix. Main thing make sure the surface is clean. After applying the JB heat the area around the fix. Use a torch. The JB will become a liquid and flow into the crack. JBWeld is pretty good but it doesn't have the strenght of a weld.

true but negative: i don't have torch yet but I'm still planning to get one soon tho

well i don't want to cover the cracking gap. i did jacking the wood up on the front bellhousing up to rematch the tranmission angle then fusion the metal together (welding) but jb weld? hmmmm the alumniuim it self get weaker after it heat up tho

edit: hey how about the proportion gas torch? will it be hot enough too?

I think youre screwed. Sorry. There is NO permanant fix for this other than removing the trans and take it to a shop that can properly weld it.... most machine shops have the ability.... or replace it. It is a BA10-5 after all. Looks like its time to find an AX-15.

EDIT.... aluminum has to be heated to a certain temp before any welding can happen. And a regular mig with mild steel wire... with or witout Argon gas WILL NOT weld aluminum.

I welded a 1/2 in aluminum plate using Alumiweld. The flux was on the outside of the rod. Rod was 1/8in. The weld looked like a 5yr kid had been playing with his daddies buzz box, all bumpy and rough, but it held. I was able to bend the sheet without the weld breaking. With a little practice the weld appearance could have been better. A regular welding tip wouldn't hack it. The aluminum soaked the heat up to fast. Used a 2in Rosette. For the trouble I'd just wait until I could get a TIG-MIG and do it right. Or take it to a welding shop.

Yeah, Your pretty much screwed. It doesnt look like there's enough room to pop rivet a couple of pcs metal to hold the crack together and I highly doubt JB Weld by itself is gonna hold it.

However, IF, (and thats a big IF) you can get the housing clean enough for JB to stick to it, I'd suggest making the repair stronger by putting a couple of layers of fiberglass matting over the crack.

Clean the entire area, cut matting to size, apply JB, apply matting being sure to work it into the JB, add JB as needed to saturate and cover matting. (it might help the JB stick if you rough up the housing with some course sand paper)

Now ...... git down on your knees and pray it stays together. :dunno:

Good luck.

I think youre screwed. Sorry. There is NO permanant fix for this other than removing the trans and take it to a shop that can properly weld it.... most machine shops have the ability.... or replace it. It is a BA10-5 after all. Looks like its time to find an AX-15.

EDIT.... aluminum has to be heated to a certain temp before any welding can happen. And a regular mig with mild steel wire... with or witout Argon gas WILL NOT weld aluminum.

:agree:

All else fails, I have a bellhousing that I'd let you have for cheap (cover my time and costs).

well guys i know I'm screwed but I'm not surprise since its ba 10/5 transmission.

well of course most aluminium can't be welding but i did tried my best.

how much is the bellhousing? i was think maybe best way is save money for ax-15?

if i can't repair then i gotta leave my mj in garage for other months. i never drive it yet! :( only couple of miles from previous owner to my home :(

Looked at the pic again.... the crack across the top is probably not your only crack. The bolt flange part of the bellhousing is probably cracked too if youre getting enough movement to not enage the clutch properly. I have a feeling that if you reinforce just the top area, youll likely just break out the bottom area where you can't see it. I think a new bellhousing or new trans is your only real option.

You could drill holes on either side of the crack and lag bolt a steel plate across the crack and use JB weld.. TEMPORARILY.

This is what I would do. Make sure the lag bolts are not long enough to collide with the flywheel or clutch etc. I would really use good machine bolts and tap the holes instead of using lag bolts (self tapping) also, less chance of cracking. The crack will continue to grow however (unless you stop-drill the ends which may not be possible with it in the vehicle) so get started finding an AX-15, preferably one with an external slave.

hey guys i just jbwelded my bellhousing and wow unexpect messy job highly recommend use rubber gloves.

its currently cure up now then hopefully its held together. i didnt drill since I'm too scare to damage parts but i did used the grinder to make lines for jb weld to seat in and have grip to sticky. i used whole the bottles to mixtures. look like I'm putty the cake (transmission bell housing) haha.

I wish you the best, but I think youre wasting youre money. The crack you see is only part of the damage. That crack opens on a pivot point.... there are more you can't see that will just pivot the other direction when you go to try and use this. That or it will just pop up the JB job. I want this to work as much as you do, but my sensibility is telling me it won't. can't wait to hear what happens!

I wish you the best, but I think youre wasting youre money. The crack you see is only part of the damage. That crack opens on a pivot point.... there are more you can't see that will just pivot the other direction when you go to try and use this. That or it will just pop up the JB job. I want this to work as much as you do, but my sensibility is telling me it won't. can't wait to hear what happens!

same with me but hey i got jb weld for free ;) its my secret. I'm not only cover those crack. alot more area on where the strengthen of stress is.

me too i can't wait until its full cure next day. its said it should be dry by 6 hours which should be dry now but i want full cure(15 hours) before touch it.

if fail then ill think about buy new bell housing which can let me drive my mj(about time!)

:eek:

flooring jack was already release so i lost the tranmission angle with bell housing but jb weld still held there however its failed tho. its didnt held bell house whole together just split little. damn u floor jack :fs1:

my moral story is that jb weld work if floor jack didnt release the pressure againt the trans to angle right with bell.

I'm gonna replace bellhousing anyway :doh:

flooring jack was already release so i lost the tranmission angle with bell housing but jb weld still held there however its failed tho. its didnt held bell house whole together just split little. damn u floor jack :fs1:

my moral story is that jb weld work if floor jack didnt release the pressure againt the trans to angle right with bell.

Does this translate to "Well, I tried the real cheap and dirty fix.....didn't work. I'm going to just replace the bell housing and move on." ??????

Or does it translate to "Curse you floor jack!!!! I am not happy with your efforts. How dare you behave that way! Now I have to buy another part!" ?????

C-12, I figure it's the first translation, right? :wavey:

Does this translate to "Well, I tried the real cheap and dirty fix.....didn't work. I'm going to just replace the bell housing and move on." ??????

Or does it translate to "Curse you floor jack!!!! I am not happy with your efforts. How dare you behave that way! Now I have to buy another part!" ?????

C-12, I figure it's the first translation, right? :wavey:

yes sir since I'm in serious bugdet and i don't want to leave my jeep in garage for other months. I'm tired of dream that I'm drove my mj then nightmare came in sudden since i never drove it which its true.

then my brother finally will give me some cash to buy bellhousing.

thatrs true floorjack is not friendly. i hate floor jack so much i rather car lift over annoy floor jack. :( my opinion :(