late but better then never 89 pioneer 2wd soon 4wd

btm24

Ok so here is a VERY needed update. Lets just say there has been a few things done to her since I last posted on here. This will be an update over 2 days. So lets start off with a bit of off roading. The night before I went to go get my front axle from st Augustine I was goin around town down some dirt roads and what not. Well I was out on the side of the road down some type of trail when BAM I hit the hole that took over my front left tire. My back right tire was lifted off the ground about a foot. So I called a buddy out who owns a Cherokee to pull me out. From there I left to st Augustine to get my axle. Keep in mind this was at about 5 in the morning lol here are a few pics I have of what it all looked like:

Well that was one hell of a night! The long hair kid is my really good friend who is also named Brandon lol From there I went to park my truck at my friend brandon's house and left. The drive to get the axle took about 8hr's. It was worth it tho. Now I'm going to spit this up into different posts so I don't have to post one long post. Hope you like!

Brandon

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok now Ive also done many mods since last updating. Here are a few. The flowmaster that I got was very worth the cost cuz it sounds amazing! here are a few shots I have of it.

I would post up a vid of how it sounds but I don't have a youtube account. But believe me it sounds amazing! ow one mod that I will do very soon is the 96 cherokee brake booster upgrade. I have the booster but have not put it in yet. Here is a pic of that I should have that done soon. Now here are a few pics of the herculiner bed liner that I did. I only have one coat on because Ive been doing alot and have put doing the other 1 or so coats on, on the bottom of the todo list. Here are a few pics of the 1st coat:

Now before I did the 1st coat of bed linner me and the guy who is helping me build my bumpers, rocker rails and so on, helped me repair the rust that I had in the bed. Here are some pics of what It looked like before and after:

I think we did all of that about a month ago and still have not finished. Since then I have not had my tool box in either which had sucked alot! So yeah The bed liner is nice to have but I have tore up that 1st coat having two axles laying back there not tied down just flopping around. It should hold up really nice when I get done with it. When I do get done with it we are going to mount the Hi Jack to the side of the bed which will be really cool. But thats it for this one hope you enjoyed it!

Brandon

what flowmaster did you get? i had the mellower 50 series, but it sounded a little tinnie (kinda high pitched while crusing), until i put on the banks torque tube then it sounded beefy. I'm goin for a magnaflow next. so i read in another post u were havin issues with the rear lift? you get that all taken care of or you goin to finish lifting it when you install the new axle?

Ok well for the past mouth My tool box and rear 8.8 sat like this

Well that was not good and had to get somthing going with that. So Thanks to a 4x4 shop in town they helped me get the 8.8 ready for going into my truck. Remember what it looked like?

Well I took it from that to welding on the new perches and painting. also installed new diff cover:

It looked brand new when I got done. Well After I painted it and got the new perches on her then it was time to go to her new home :clapping: Since we were already dropping the rear end why not put on the rear lift? Here are a few pic's of all of that going on:

Not to many pic's because I was doing alot of the work. But here is what It looks like when We got done:

And this is how the truck sits:

It kinda sucks but I only got about an inch of lift out of all of that. I talked to a few people and found out that I need a new leaf pack :( So I ordered new leafs from hell creek they should be here around Thursday. That was another 400 bucks I didn’t want to spend. I also had to buy some wheel spacers due to the ford axle being to narrow and making my tires rub. They should be here around Tuesday. It is really nice to have disk brakes in the back and I can feel the difference the 4:10 gear ratio has made. Ill post up more pics as I get them but I think thats about it for now. I thought I had more then that but I guess not. Next time Ill update as I do things and not wait lol Hope you all enjoyed my build so far.

Brandon

finally an update jamminz.gif

I know I'm sorry I won't let this happen again.

finally an update jamminz.gif

:agree:

edit: when your gonna get spacers for rear because of rear tires rubbing?

I was making that post when you posted lol I should get the spacers tuesday :D

what flowmaster did you get? i had the mellower 50 series, but it sounded a little tinnie (kinda high pitched while crusing), until i put on the banks torque tube then it sounded beefy. I'm goin for a magnaflow next. so i read in another post u were havin issues with the rear lift? you get that all taken care of or you goin to finish lifting it when you install the new axle?

I got the flowmaster super 44. Its not as loud as I would like it to be but it has such a nice smooth sound unlike somthing like a glass pack. And yeah I needed a new leaf pack or at least I think thats what I need. I ordered it from hell creek and should be here around thursday. I'm going to install the front lift when I install the front axle. The front axle I am having to completely rebuild. Then from there Ill go to installing the new transmission and transfer case. It should be about a month before that stuff is done. And I have not even got started on the bumpers and what not. Ill keep ya'll updated.

Brandon

sorry to nit-pick, but its in my nature :brows: it looks like either prep work wasnt done and contaminated you welds or the gas was left off on the spring perches?? that makes perfect sense to lift it when installing the front axle :yes:

sorry to nit-pick, but its in my nature :brows: it looks like either prep work wasnt done and contaminated you welds or the gas was left off on the spring perches?? that makes perfect sense to lift it when installing the front axle :yes:

thats what I though when I see undone work with weld on perches? Its look way different compare to my custom caliper bracket weld.

He was out of argon when he did the welds. It may not look pretty but Then I don't have any pic's of when he got done either. He did a bit more on it of which I got 0 pictures of. It WILL hold up good I have no worry's about that. And yes I do feel a bit of a difference having dick brakes in the back. The only bad thing is that for now I don't have a parking brake.

Brandon

He was out of argon when he did the welds. It may not look pretty but Then I don't have any pic's of when he got done either. He did a bit more on it of which I got 0 pictures of. It WILL hold up good I have no worry's about that. And yes I do feel a bit of a difference having dick brakes in the back. The only bad thing is that for now I don't have a parking brake.

Brandon

alright good, haha yea I'm sure its feel difference. What about height valve? Did you still using it?

I don't have parking brake too but people keep tell me that its not really necessary. :dunno: I'm giving it a try without parking brake anyway.

Brandon

so he cut them back off, ground off the welds, and redid it, yes?

if not, you have a contaminated weld, and it still will not hold up.

strong welds aren't something that "just happens". you can't "halfass" them...and if you're out of the proper resource to do it right from the get-go...you shouldn't even attempt to start.

sorry. my brother is a welder. he balked at these welds and almost $#!& himself when he saw them. not nearly good enough.

dick brakes in the bach huh :doh: lol are you using a adj proportional valve now that you have disks front/rear?

edit :agree: you can sprinkle sugar over poop, and itll still be poop

haha yea i was like.... :roll: but hey i have bad grammer so i just ingore his mispell anyway. I would suggest you to swap proportion valve but I noticed that your gonna swap the booster which there come with proportion valve too so your will be fine anyway :thumbsup:

Well I guess we will see about that weld :D Any ways here is a small update. Today I got some stuff in the mail for my bumpers. 2 D ring tabs and 2 D rings from JCR offroad. I have another set coming soon. I also painted the D rings red. Dint do a great Job but what ever. Here they are

They will lay on a black bumper. I'm copying $500 mj's rear bumper but adding a bit on to it and am making a fron hidden winch bumper. Both will be painted with a type of powder coating called crinkle coating, black. :clapping: Thats it for now, thanks for checking out my build.

Brandon

• 2 weeks later...

i also just thought i would add i think your rear shocks are to long also you got like an inch or two of up travel so if you put any7 weight in the back your will probably bottom out and blow out the shocks over a bump. also don't take what ever one is saying like a personal attack were just watching out over you to make sure ur safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so ive done alot but ive not done much if that makes any sence? 1st I got my new 6" lift shocks from RC a lit bit back and installed them and the ride was SOOO much smoother! But before I could install my new shocks I had to deal with me over doing things...I broke off the shock stud that the rear shocks mount to. They are welded to the frame so I grinded it off and had some one weld up a new one. I do not have resent pic's of this nor do I have pic's of fixing it :( but I do have a pic of the stud broke off:

I cut this to fit in its place:

I still need to re tighten all the shocks and what not...

any ways, I also figured out my rear end problem (or at least I hope I did) and ordered some type of spacers that go where the axle sits on the leaf springs that will change the pinnion angle by 3 degrees (I think) which "should" fix all of that. I have started to take off the old portation valve brt I'm not getting far fast.

I ordered "new" bump stops today and should have them on next week. Oh and the front dana 30 is in the shop being totaly rebuilt for saturday which we will atempt to put the front axle in and the front part of the lift :clapping: then next week end We will maybe do and finish up the 4x4 convert :D so by the end of this month Ill be a 4x4 which is really cool. When we do the front part of the lift I'm also hoping to get to trimming the frender flairs up 1 inch. I have not even gotten started on the bumpers and rocker rails yet :ack: And I'm not sure if I can seeing as how ive gone over bugdet by about $1500 on what ive done so far. And sunday I may be finnishing up building the mount for the hi jack lift and finishing up the bed linner and putting back my tool box which will be nice to have again. So I have alot ahead to do and finish and ill get the pic's up as soon as stuff starts to happen :clapping:

Brandon

• 3 months later...

I need to update it its an amazing truck now.... other then the dent i just put in it and the fact that she needs a knew motor. But all that means is that its time for an upgrade :D Ill update it soon like with in the month soon. Sorry every body ill update I mean it :D

Brandon

• 6 months later...