Would a 96 grand cherokee dana 30 fit?

Yes, it will bolt directly on, but you need all the brake stuff with it.

It will be a low pinion axle, however.

As far as I know, however, no ZJ came with 3.07 gearing. I may be wrong though.

ZJ's came with 3.55's, or 3.73's. Decent axle, but will most likely have CV shafts. Easy to swap in the standard u-joints if you wish.

Rob L.

Correct. The ZJ was offered with a 5-speed only in 1993 and VERY few were sold, so for all practical purposes there are no 3.07 ZJ axles. A ZJ axle is probably 3.55 or 3.73. As noted, it will be a low pinion, and it will use the horrible composite rotors that like to warp every other week. If the ratio matched it would be better than nothing if it's free, but regearing it will cost $$$ so it's probably better to keep looking for an XJ or MJ Dana 30 with the ratio you need.

Unless, of course, your plans include changing the rear axle ratio.

Assuming this axle is 3:73, you could find a donor rear axle geared 3:73 from a ZJ or a KJ,as XJ's and MJ's with 3:73 gearing is very rare. They will need perches welded on if you get a ZJ or KJ donor. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking late model XJ's with the 8 1/4" axles might have 3:73's though some reasearch would need to be done. It would be cheaper to get a matched donor than it would be to regear your current axle. Good luck.

A ZJ rear will be another D35, or a "Dana 44" with the crappy aluminum case -- the only axle in the universe that's WORSE than a Dana 35. And there are no late model XJs with 3.73s. From the factory, all 5-speed 4.0Ls had 3.07, all 4.0L automatics had 3.55s, and all 4-cylinders had 4.10s.

A ZJ rear will be another D35, or a "Dana 44" with the crappy aluminum case -- the only axle in the universe that's WORSE than a Dana 35. And there are no late model XJs with 3.73s. From the factory, all 5-speed 4.0Ls had 3.07, all 4.0L automatics had 3.55s, and all 4-cylinders had 4.10s.

Not quite.

4 cylinder/4 speed stick (AX-4) have 3.55.

Supposedly (have not been able to confirm personally yet) early 4 cylinder/auto had 4.56.

Not quite.

Supposedly (have not been able to confirm personally yet) early 4 cylinder/auto had 4.56.

I'm sorry. I meant to say all "Chrysler era" 4-cylinders. Yes, the early AMC XJs and MJs had some ratio variations, especially behind the 4-cylinders. Chrysler did away with all that. That's what was intended by my reference to "late model XJs."

Not quite.

I'm sorry. I meant to say all "Chrysler era" 4-cylinders. Yes, the early AMC XJs and MJs had some ratio variations, especially behind the 4-cylinders. Chrysler did away with all that. That's what was intended by my reference to "late model XJs."

My 91 2.5 came with an AX-4 and 3.55 gears.