1988 Comache - bumper

dgp3263

Got rear ended last week and thank god the adjuster did not total my truck. Back window got blown out by my head but was replaced today. I am looking for a rear bumper assembly (step not tubed) that is local. Nearest one I've been able to find is in a junk yard is in Md. Can anyone help me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why not Give these people a call:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21937&p=226125&hilit=JCR+BUMPER#p226125

JCR I mean. Saw a post about a year ago with a link to there Comanche specific rear bumper. Not on their web site last time I looked.

Also, have seen NOS Comanche chrome rear bumpers listed on Ebay for about $350 or so. Somebody in California seems to have a number of them.

As I recall the JCR custom rear bumper was the same price or less. Shipping could be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this about a year ago.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17246

If you're interested in some-assembly-required, I'll work up a price to do a single kit. I've been pretty happy with it. I've used it to pull my 8' utility trailer quite a bit with gross weights from 1 to 2 tons.

The only issue I've had is that it slipped in the adjustment slots when I was yanking out a couple small pear tree stumps with a tow strap hooked to the ball on my 8" drop hitch--I really shouldn't have been doing that anyway.

I obviously have spent the money on DOT testing and approval. Actual strength depends on your welding ability. The whole thing was designed for a 500 lb tongue weight and 1000 lb pull with appropriate safety factors.

BTW, the stiffener plate under the receiver is 1/2", not 1/4" as it said in the old post.

If you do get an after market bumper and want to tow with it , make sure it is rated for towing. Alot of aftermarket bumpers are not designed for towing. They will tell you that it is designed for accessories (bike rack...) and not actual towing. If you do tow with them and the bumper fails and causes an accident, they are not liable, since it was not designed for the load. Just something to watchout for.

• 3 months later...