Leaf spring Conversion to Cherokee

I have a comanche that has a broken spring and although its not the top spring, I would like to consider the possibility of relocating the rears leaf spring front mount. I thought about doing this since Cherokee spring packs are readily available and I can get them for a fraction of having a new set made one that won't be already sagging from years of use. The reason for this is I can get the parts way cheaper than replacing the stock sagging comanche springs I would really like some constructive critisism(???) on this subject and for some help from anyone who may have some measurements that I have taken but others would be helpful. Please just stick to the idea like there were no comanche springs letf on the face of the earth :cheers: . Lets see if I can get this to happen.

Let me clarify If I used the truck to carry anything heavier than I would have hauled in a Cherokee than I see your point . I won't be carrying anything heavier than I would have hauled in a Cherokee so untill I can get the actual weight cap. of a Cherokee , well I see it like if I carry anything larger than three adults + full rear hatch of stuff in a Cherokee then maybe but I see the possibility of spring swap going easier than paying for a new set. I also noticed that I would be able to get the front spring mount almost flush with the frame better clearance . I was told once if you don't like the original design do it the way you want . Geonovast if you have the capicity of the factory springs that would be helpful Thanks . My truck is a 2.5 5 speed so it shouldnt be rated to carry that much weight :dunno: . On our old Cherokee 97 we had a boat and full of camping gear prob. never have any more in it than that.

Motor/trans have nothing to do capacity. I believe the non-metric tonne springs are somewhere are a 1500lb payload. I have carried quite a bit of weight in the back of my 2.5 without much problems.

You're looking into a lot of work to use smaller springs. Not only that, but XJ springs are nearly flat, and even with an SOA axle, it'll most likely lower down your back end.

I'm by far not a leaf spring expert, but this just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

I have a comanche that has a broken spring and although its not the top spring, I would like to consider the possibility of relocating the rears leaf spring front mount. I thought about doing this since Cherokee spring packs are readily available and I can get them for a fraction of having a new set made one that won't be already sagging from years of use. The reason for this is I can get the parts way cheaper than replacing the stock sagging comanche springs I would really like some constructive critisism(???) on this subject and for some help from anyone who may have some measurements that I have taken but others would be helpful. Please just stick to the idea like there were no comanche springs letf on the face of the earth :cheers: . Lets see if I can get this to happen.

There are no commercial spring shops in a city the size of Des Moines, IA?

My friend down the road picked up an MJ with a busted #2 leaf on one side. He took it to the spring shop I recommended, the guy made up two new #2 leaves (so both sides would be the same) and put the springs back together. My friend plans to haul a lot of firewaood so he specified a slightly thicker replacement leaf and a touch more arch, so he ended up with about a 1" lift in the rear.

Any spring shop should be able to do this for you.

awsome getting some really helpful info thanks I hadnt even thought about the arch difference Thanks for pointing that out. Another buddy said maybe one fix would be just to swap the complete leaf pack from a Cherokee and cut the eyes off and use the complete pack as a replacement and just keep the top spring, Ill prob have to use some taller shackles but that would be OK. I'm really trying to keep this trucks expenses to a minimum. Ill prob only drive it through the winter. It has been a good Project truck. I did a lift on the front and added about 4.5 inches so what if I just swap out the bad spring and do the spring over??? :driving: This way Ill have the front a little lower keep the rear a little taller??

Another buddy said maybe one fix would be just to swap the complete leaf pack from a Cherokee and cut the eyes off and use the complete pack as a replacement and just keep the top spring, Ill prob have to use some taller shackles but that would be OK. I'm really trying to keep this trucks expenses to a minimum.

The best thing to do, if you want to add some leaves, is to find a vehicle with the same, or greater arch than an MJ. As is NOT an XJ. XJ leaves are flatter, and will net nothing, and support little. What I would look for is another truck or suv with good arch, and SUA, like the explorer, I believe. Use those as the leaf pack minus eyes.

As for the 4.5" lift, and SOA idea, I like that. Fix your springs, or get some MJ springs, and do the SOA to match the front. Keep the spring perch height to a minimum, and check it as you go. I think that this is the best idea for you.

Rob L.

I have 85 1/2 ton Suburban 56" rear springs on mine... They are noticeably firmer than stock MJs but very liveable... They are only 1" different than stock MJs and only on the shackle end, so it is very easy to deal with the shackle angle... I actually use my truck as a truck but I often use it offroad pretty much empty and it still rides and flexes very well...

If you've got 4.5' up front I say go for it and use a full XJ pack with the MJ main in SOA configuration. Then tell us how it does. :D The idea has come up before, but I don't know if anyone has actually gone through with it. Explorer multi-leaf packs could also be tried in that configuration since they have less arch than MJ leafs but about the same length.

I recently swapped out my D35 for an explorer 8.8. I decided to go spring over and since I had a full SUA 4.5" leaf pack I sold my 4.5" pack and used the stock explorer springs. The wrecking yard I bought the axle at threw in the leafs for free. They fit perfect, and they gave me the exact same 4.5" ride height. So in short if you are staying leaf under use any explorer pack 95-99 the newer and less mileage the better. With the explorer pack in my comanche it rides better than ever! They are very abundant at any wrecking yard and work great!