Gas Tank Size?

Ok, So I've read everywhere, including my owners manual that there was only a 16 and 23 gallon gas tank size available in 87. With the 23 gallon being more common in the longbed. here's where things get weird. Mine is full at just shy of 12. Is it possible that I have a 16 gallon with 4 Gallons of crap in the tank, or is there a 12 gallon option out there? I'm a confused little greaseball here fellas. :nuts:

How do you know the tank is empty? Put a one gallon gas can, full, into the back of the truck and drive it until it dies. Put in the gallon spare and head for the nearest station. Then see how much it takes to fill it. Or, drain the tank at home. Then refill it from measured containers.

Edit;SDak? Better make it a five gallon can.

Just checked the 1/88 parts book.

MJ lists both 16 and 23.5 gal tank for gas and diesel, also lists an 18 gal fuel tank for Gas, Injected.

XJ 2 tanks only for either gas or diesel, 13.5 and 20.2 gal.

So no 13.5 gal tank for the MJ

Nice spread sheet. Is there a FACTORY source document to back it up?

Besides the factory parts book, I have an 87 Comanche owners manual. That manual say nothing about a 13.5 gal. tank.

It list 2 fuel tank sizes - 60.5 liters (16 gal. U.S.) and 89 liters (23.5 U.S. gal.).

I think the confusion about the 13.5 gal tank may have come about because the same factory manuals also list the Imperial Gallon size of the smaller 60.5 liter tank as 13.3 Imperial Gallons. It is very reasonable to "think/assume" the 13.3 imp. gal. tank is the same size as the 13.5 U.S. gal Cherokee tank.

Besides after looking at all the numbers on that spreadsheet, I would find it very hard to notice the difference between 13.3 and 13.5.

Would be nice if that sheet were updated and corrected. It could be VERY useful.

My 87 when it reads empty is actually still about a quarter tank full. I kinda like it like that because it will make it tought to actually run out of gas. Ive run it for quite a while past E, just to see what will happen, and have yet to put more that 14.5 gallons or so to fill it up at that point. Just cause you read it at empty doesnt mean your tank is that much full of crap... just means that the float is not reading like it should.

Don't get me wrong, its not a problem, in fact like you said, its actually kinda nice. I'd much rather have me float tell me I have less gas than more.

I was just curious more than anything. The PO rednecked the hell out of this thing, ya never know if he popped a different tank in there