Rocky Road Lift

Are you talking about that suspiciously cheap 5" ebay kit? I'll say the same thing I always say about that one, I highly recommend staying away from any kit over 3" that doesn't address the lower control arms. It tells me that that they don't know what they're doing.

Are you talking about that suspiciously cheap 5" ebay kit? I'll say the same thing I always say about that one, I highly recommend staying away from any kit over 3" that doesn't address the lower control arms. It tells me that that they don't know what they're doing.

absolutely nothing wrong with a cheaper kit without lower control arms, just pick out your favorite control arm mod to go with it.

It still tells me that they don't know what they're doing. And I personally find that to be suspect. What else might be wrong with the kit that I haven't noticed yet?

The short response is, it's just a matter of time and resources to throw at it, it's a new kit. The company does have a drop bracket in the works set to be available very soon. For what it's worth I know them and they know what they are doing. The way I look at it is, when there is a plethora of aftermarket control arm choices on the market, why re-invent the wheel so to speak. Just pick your favorite, most of us have mix and match lifts as is.

The long response;

As I've posted on my build thread, they are using my MJ to finalize a drop bracket kit that will be offered as an optional item in the very near future. And as an optional item, you will still be able to choose your own control arm mod should you want to, or get the kit with the dropbrackets when available.

The front lift of the kit is based on the XJ trailblazer kits they have sold for years that combine budget lift spacers and OME springs. Taller custom springs are about to enter the testing phase. The rear is bolt on, they have years of experience doing bolt on spring over systems on other leaf sprung vehicles.

The only downside per se to a bolt on SOA kit is the axle specific nature of it. A test rig will be in as RRO's trial vehicle for a D44 specific bolt on spring perch hopefully within the next month or so. Until then they have only had my MJ's D35 to work with and that has been the only complaint about the kit that I know of (being D35 specific) again that should change soon. I havn't heard of any problems with the kit or experienced any myself. The parts are built as reliable looking as the RRO shackles I've run on my XJ for years.

My experience is my XJ, at 3.5" lift using a combo of OME RRO and other parts, rides like a "limo" or "much less bouncy than mine" as I've been told by XJ owning passengers. I can tell you my MJ, with this kit in question installed, feels better than my XJ so far and that tells me I have a lot of excellent MJ offroading to look foreward to.

There is nothing wrong with being cautious or doing your research. It's the right way to approach this hobby. Just wanted to share what I know.

just how soon do you think their drop brackets will be out and about?

I'm lookin at the RE kit right now, but if theyre competitively priced ill go with RRO, the only other difference besides control arms is that RE doesnt come with shocks (RRO does) and that RE has brakelines included (RRO doesnt) so idk...

right now its lookin like RE everything but the coils for me... i want a slightly lower spring rate than RE offers. their coils are to rough for me.

(for the record my bro is running a full RE lift on his XJ)

the rocky road outfitters are based just about 200 miles south of where I live, in Heber City UT, I have toured there facility. the lift that you are speaking about if I'm correct is the 5" SOA lift and the components are of high quality. I saw there MJ in action last year down in moab ut well at least I think it was there's if not it sure was a rolling billboard for RRO, I do know for a fact that it had the 5" RRO soa lift and it seemed to hold together nicely! however I also am not sure what they are doing for lower control arms, I need to find out. at any rate I would like to run the lift as soon as I can afford it. I know that they were getting about 28 to 30 inches of flex out of there's. here is the address for there site. ( www.rocky-road.com/comanche.html )

:cheers:

Just thought i would offer up my two cents..If I am correct the RubyExpress 5.5" kit runs some where between 1100-1200 bones..You might want to look at the 6.5" lift frm RoughCountry. There kit comes with this....1. front coils

2. upper & lower adjustable control arms

3. transfer case drop

4. front adjustable track bar

5. adjustable swaybar disconnects

6. pitman arm

7. brake lines

8. 4 Heckethorn 8000 shocks

9. rear lift shackles

This kit will set ya back $995 bones. Me and my friends all have had rough country kits on various rides and are yet to ever have any complaints...Anyway this is more than likely the route I am taking on my new 88 project. :popcorn:

Right now the RockyRoad website is selling an incomplete kit. When they finally get a complete kit together that actually addresses all the issues that arise with 5/6 inches of lift, then I'll gladly retract all my statements. In the meantime, they are currently comparing a 3" AAL kit to their 5" SOA kit. That kind of advertising is simply not on the up and up. And to point out that an AAL kit apparently has a poor ride quality while they are selling a 5" (or even a 6"!!) kit with STOCK arms is just plain wrong. Oh, and a 3" coil spacer is really really wrong.

Agree with everything said above..However a 3" spacer ought to be ok if you were to use the ACOS setup wouldnt it? Thats what i gotta use on my 87 cause my 36's are rubbing. 8"lift just aint enough..Rear clears easily its the dang front.

nah, nothign wrong with the spacer istelf at all... just the fact that they're selling that as part of the INITIAL kit?!!? if I'm buying coils I'm gonna buy them the right height. ACOS are just that adjusters... its somethign you throw in later to level it out or bump it up over those 36s

especially since the coils are only about 10$ difference for longer coils on other sites.

The stock bumpstop tower (not including the screw-on part at the bottom) is only 5" long and spacers taller than 2" can bring the top of the coil spring too close to the bottom of the tower for my personal preference. I'm not too terribly familiar with the ACOS setup.

If my tires were still rubbing the fenders, I'd get longer bumpstops rather than add lift. But then it depends on precisely where the rubbing is occurring and what axles/rims/controlarms you had.