oil in my ba10/5

i have the pos peugot... i know i need to change the oil in it but the drain plug is a B**** i can't find anything to fit in the square hole to let the old oil drain... i tried the regular sockets... is there a tool? or trick? i couldnt use vicegrips bc theres no room to turn them

It's an 8mm (or 5/16") square plug. You can file down a sacrificial 3/8" extension to fit, or file two sides off an 8mm allen wrench to fit, or if you can find a small piece of square stock in either size you can use that and turn it with a wrench.

HTH,

Jeff

Yup, me too. I dug out an old extension that didn't stay on the ratchet anymore and ground down 2 sides. Make sure you only take off a little at a time, as it's really easy to end up with a 7mm and round out the hole. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

i just ground the end where the ball was.... mine wasnt to tight, but thats a good idea to cut off the end and grind further back, also helps with clearance i bet.

but yeah, 3/8" extension works. gotta grind for a while though, grind, check, grind, check

if all else fails and you can't get it out, you can still fill the box via the shifter housing (remove shifter and pour it in). I usually refill my AX that way (but the shifter pops out very easily, unlike the BA10 :cry: ) and leave the fill plug out.....stop adding when it starts to dribble out the fill hole. You would just need to put in a measured amount since the plug would still be installed.

Jeff

if all else fails and you can't get it out, you can still fill the box via the shifter housing (remove shifter and pour it in). I usually refill my AX that way (but the shifter pops out very easily, unlike the BA10 :cry: ) and leave the fill plug out.....stop adding when it starts to dribble out the fill hole. You would just need to put in a measured amount since the plug would still be installed.

Jeff

thats how i filled my BA10... its not THAT bad, but you have to take the consoles/shift boots out which is annoying... the actual shifter is only held in by 3 bolts, the boots are much more obnoxious.

can you beleive i added nearly 4 quarts to my puke-goat? :eek:

Yes, yes I can believe that. But only because I've done similar. Heck, on that last trip the trans was literally dry (after it blew a hole through its side) and it still got me home. :D It was noisy enough to hurt your ears and the last few mile I was stuck in 3rd, :roll: but still...

Yes, yes I can believe that. But only because I've done similar. Heck, on that last trip the trans was literally dry (after it blew a hole through its side) and it still got me home. :D It was noisy enough to hurt your ears and the last few mile I was stuck in 3rd, :roll: but still...

my theory on the common blowout of BA10s is fluid loss, i think the split case causes leaks in alot of cases, because my BA10 was PERFECT when i bought the truck, daily drove it/ trips to my brothers 100+ mi with no fluid, and its TERRIBLE now. barely get it into 2nd, hard to get in 1st, grinds into 4th unless i put it up near 3rd then into 4th

From what I remember, the big leak on mine was the driveshaft seal, but would only apply to 2wds.

mine leaks everywhere except there haha. it smells as if the fluid is leaking onto the clutch and burning off. and the bottom of the case is disgusting. i can't actually tell if ive got a rear main leak at all :roll:

thanks for the help guys.. mine doesnt seem to be leaking at all but i know there is water in there.. so my oil is prolly milk now.. but mine won't go into 4th at all.. it just grinds tryin.. i think its a gonner.. but hopefully it will if i fill it full of good oil.. otherwise.. time to save up for a ax-15