replays in baseball?

Pete M

Not sure who all has heard it, but for those of you that haven't, Detroit Tiger's pitcher Armando Galarraga almost threw a perfect game yesterday. In the 9th inning, with 2 outs left, the batter hit a ground ball which was promptly thrown to first ahead of the runner. But that's not what the ump called. The ump, for whatever reason :dunno: , called him safe and destroyed a little slice of history. :fs1: I can only hope that this whips the powers-that-be into reality and convinces them to at least contemplate integrating some video review into the game. (currently only questionable home runs can be reviewed for accuracy)

g-cvr-100603-tigers2-grab-430a.grid-8x2.jpg

After a long drought, there were TWO perfect games pitched last month. Oakland's Dallas Braden on 05-09-2010 and Philly's Roy Halladay on 05-29-2010. Must be getting easier or the singles hitters like Pete Rose are all gone? Now almost another perfect game. I saw the replays and yes, it was a blown call for sure. But that's part of the human element that's been in baseball for over a century, and I don't want all that instant relay crap injected in baseball too. I like it as is, blown calls and all.

The Tigers deserved to have a perfect game, and its sad to see something like that get screwed up. The tigs have a nice comeback in the last few years, and this would have been icing on the cake. A limited use of instant replay would be fine by me.

After a long drought, there were TWO perfect games pitched last month. Oakland's Dallas Braden on 05-09-2010 and Philly's Roy Halladay on 05-29-2010. Must be getting easier or the singles hitters like Pete Rose are all gone? Now almost another perfect game. I saw the replays and yes, it was a blown call for sure. But that's part of the human element that's been in baseball for over a century, and I don't want all that instant relay crap injected in baseball too. I like it as is, blown calls and all.

x2. while he should have been awarded a perfect game, it would ruin baseball to have replay. if your gonna have replay then why have umpires?

they already have replay. so far it's used for home runs. there's plenty of gray area between soccer and a game of electronic darts.

Yep, and I don't like that either. But with the shadows and distant look angles the umps get of long fly balls, you could almost justify a replay to determine if it's fair or foul, but I still don't like it. Let's hope the replays don't go any further than that, or better yet, get rid of them altogether. I don't like the AL designated hitters either. :fs1: They always have to tinker with a sport until it's ruined. Leave baseball alone........

The main issue with replays seems to be the fear of how much time it will add to the game; a game that already can run 3-4 hours easily. You are going to have to convince MLB and the networks to allow the extra time before they will even hear any other points to be made.

As for me, I think bad calls are part of the game, our past time. Of course, I still consider it a game. Many don't. But, that is easy enough for someone to say whom makes no money at Baseball...

boo-hoo all you want. I'm for whatever it takes to prevent what I watched yesterday. Even if it's to simply let the ump himself review a call that he made. That should seriously limit the number of times it's used. :yes:

boo-hoo all you want. I'm for whatever it takes to prevent what I watched yesterday. Even if it's to simply let the ump himself review a call that he made. That should seriously limit the number of times it's used. :yes:

galarraga didnt get the shaft, he got a free 'vette. :yes:

Pete's a Detroit fan, I admire that, but if it happened to a Boston or New York pitcher, we'd not hear a peep from him. :cheers: Many years ago, a similar bad ump call prevented a perfect game by Sox pitcher Luis "El Tiante" Tiant, but it happened in the forth inning, so no big deal was made of it. Additionally, umps have made many tough bang-bang calls in favor of the team that had a no-hit no-run game going that were obviously bad calls, but you don't hear much flack about those. Baseball is close to remaining a pure game as designed; don't flock it up as they have with B-ball, hockey, and football. Screw replays in baseball.

I assure you, I'd be saying the same thing no matter who it was. :thumbsup: Just might not be as on the ball as I was this time since I don't watch a lot of other games. I'd have to catch it on the news.

This happened a couple of years ago while watching a Hockey game , a bad blue line call cost the team a goal in a very tight conference championship .

Everyone saw what happened and the ref just kept skating around the ice like a school girl .

God that pissed me off , I lost a lot of heart for the game that day and I haven't been as big of a fan as I once was . I agree with leaving the sport alone , look what happened to

Hockey after the strike , not nearly as exciting as it was before .

Its like a bunch of millionaire namby pambies running around b@tching that their salary isn't big enough . To me its slap in the face of the fans that are barely able to afford a

regular season ticket .