New jeep??

ohiostate454

I like it, but it's a concept vehicle right now and no more. Hopefully they build it :brows: jamminz.gif

Almost reminds me of the Model T with the spare tire mounted on the side and the big fenders.

It seems to me the corporations have confused "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" by trying to apply it to concept cars. What they do not understand is "Taunt on Sunday, frustrate on Monday" sells nothing but contempt.

Chrysler couldn't find it's own a$$ with both hands.

They would not offer ANY Jeep pickup (even a rebadged Dodge product), so as to not compete with itself,

but they would rebadge a Dakota for Mitsubishi, so they could satisfy their customers. :shake:

They already make XX% of the parts to build a JK Wrangler pickup,

can you imagine the number of people who would line up, and pay a premium to buy an Unlimited Rubicon Pickup?

Rule of thumb for businesses,

if customers line up, and wave money at you for a safe, legal product that you could easily produce for a profit,

you should build them some of those.

I saw this concept at the NY auto show last year. It was pretty bada$$. There was a herd of Jeep enthusiasts gathered around it chatting about how they were going to pray every night that Chrysler put the thing into production. I tried to get one of the Chrysler reps to let me sit in it, but she wasn't budging. Corporate policy to not allow unauthorized people in the concept vehicles. She also gave me the standard line - "If I let you in, I'd have to let EVVVVVERYONE in." One of the older Jeep enthusiast guys overheard her say that and said, "Dam right you would!!"

Didn't that thing first hit shows in '05 or '06?

IIRC, that was a snapshot to the future a la the JK. However, the outside firm in CA that built it modified so many parts in so many minor ways that for Chrysler to build it as it sits wasn't profitable. Very few actual box stock JK parts made it onto that concept.

Chrysler couldn't find it's own a$$ with both hands.

They would not offer ANY Jeep pickup (even a rebadged Dodge product), so as to not compete with itself,

but they would rebadge a Dakota for Mitsubishi, so they could satisfy their customers. :shake:

They already make XX% of the parts to build a JK Wrangler pickup,

can you imagine the number of people who would line up, and pay a premium to buy an Unlimited Rubicon Pickup?

Rule of thumb for businesses,

if customers line up, and wave money at you for a safe, legal product that you could easily produce for a profit,

you should build them some of those.

Rumor has the Nissan rebadging a Ram for their nect gen. full-sized truck....

Arent they already actually building those for overseas military? I think they are.... so its not like they couldnt give it to us if they wanted to.

Basically, yeah. It's not that Gladiator concept exactly, but it's the J8 Military Spec Wrangler. JK Unlimited frame, reinforced, and beefed up suspension. Leaf springs in the back, so it has a 3K payload capacity. Comes in 4dr or 2dr with an extended bed. They build it in Cairo and Israel. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/08/heavy-duty-jeep-j8-now-available-everywhere-but-here/

The "official" reason it's not available here is that the 2.8 diesel powertrain won't pass US emissions standards. That part I can buy, and is sorta out of their hands. But there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have a truck version of the JK Unlimited available here in the states. The fact that they don't frustrates me to no end :wall:

You can get something like that Gladiator concept now, but you have to go aftermarket.

AEV makes the "brute" kit: http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/brute/ and there's a place in North Carolina called RubiTrux: http://www.rubitrux.com/

Actually, last I heard the Nissan/Dodge merger got the axe after Chrysler realized they were pretty much effed financially. As a Nissan guy at heart, I couldn't be happier to see that fail. Look at what chrysler did to Jeep. Imagine what would happen if they got their hands on another great auto company.

I hope they forget it ever happenned

The Nissan deal fell apart when Chrysler went into bankrupcy, but it wasnt Chrysler buying Nissan, it was just Nissan getting the rights to rebadge a Dodge fullsize. I too am glad it didnt go through, but because I can't stand Nissans. The current Nissan full size is not selling well, and they were hoping to save money by getting a good platform that is already being made elsewhere to help thier truck line. Its bad enough that Mitsubishi is taking the already ugly current Dodge Dakota and making it even uglier! There were also rumors very recently that Hyundai was looking at Dodge trucks to rebadge for Hyundai trucks to expand thier lineup. But there seems to be no truth to that one, so far.

This is off topic isnt it...... sorry.

Not at all dasbulliwagen , explaining how newer trucks are just a re-badged and sold like hot cakes has always amazed me .

Frankly , I'll keep my MJ , they can have all the shiny mexican plastic they want . I'll build my own truck my own way . Right here in the USA ...

That's not a Gladiator! Gladiators were full size true man trucks,,,,that's a next gen Scrambler. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just doesn't ooze the mantastic amounts of beer guzzling, stump pulling, door kicking, barn bustin power of an old Gladiator.

I still like it though...