mj payload & towing capability?

there are a couple of people on here who have seriously thought about building a dually, but nobody has actually done it yet. sometime earlier this year a member on here found a source for the rear fenders. IIRC they were not specific to an MJ but were for small to mid size trucks and could be trimmed up to fit. that first dually pic has been on here several times, and except for the bumper guards being painted white, is probably the coolest MJ in my book.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another cool Jeep for the over sea's market we in the states never get to have . . . Dose anybody know anything about these trucks ?

All i can find is yes they are real and there was a run of them built and shipped over sea's and that was it for info . . .

What axles dose it have ? what sized wheel/tire dose it run ?

truck looks like a true dually with the wheels its got . . .

Mike

Just another cool Jeep for the over sea's market we in the states never get to have . . . Dose anybody know anything about these trucks ?

All i can find is yes they are real and there was a run of them built and shipped over sea's and that was it for info . . .

What axles dose it have ? what sized wheel/tire dose it run ?

truck looks like a true dually with the wheels its got . . .

Mike

I don't think it was made strictly for over seas. I believe its a "kit" for mini trucks available in the early '90's. There is a dually track truck somewhere, and a camper floating around. All domestic.

Rob L.

automan, wasn't there some confirmation that there were some factory built dually's?

amc-mj, i believe it has been confirmed that the ones out there had dana44 rears. but, if they were available to anyone as a kit, one could just as easily have a d35 under there. i'm guessing those tires are probably 225/75/15s.

my dream dually would have a d44 front, cut down dana60 out back, and a mbt4 diesel under the hood. 8)

If you thinking about the JCW kit but the JCW kit's allowed you to duel the factory single rims it did NOT come with DRW rim's . . .

I saw listed on a web site some place . ..

Mike

there 225/75R16 tires's . . .

D44's i'm guessing its a kit using the J-truck dually axle hub's as those where D44/D70 axle configuration so a 2WD = D44 rear a 4WD MJ-DRW = D44/D44 . . .

So there was other kits then ? coolness learn something new, I read some place they made like 9 or 10 of these truck's and shipped them out over sea's . . .

So i just figured it was an Export only deal like the 86-92 VM 2.8L diesel's . . .

We prolly should keep get this back on track . . .

Here lets chat about AMC's truck's:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24783

Mike

• 2 months later...

I've been doing some more research and such on this topic for my own situation.

In Ontario we have a regulation that states that any truck and trailer combination over 4500 kg (9200 lb) must have an annual inspection and display a yellow sticker to be available for road side spot checks. I want to avoid this if possible. The government gets enough of my money and I don't need to get reamed for $300-$400 annual inspections either.

I've done some trailer designing and have a spreadsheet that spits out the weight of the materials and parts for the trailer.

Using my numbers:

trailer: 1200 lb (including weight of ratchet straps, trailer spare tire, etc.)

car: 2800 lb

two sets of extra tires/wheels: 400 lb

tools: 100 lbs

Total trailer weight: 4500

Truck GVWR = 4700 (Is this correct?). The GVWR is what is used regardless of what the truck actually weighs. The flip pack camper weighs 300 lbs so plus me and my wife and any clothes, camping gear whatever we pack we will be well withing the GVWR. If the trailer ends up being heavier ultimately I'll take some of the payload weight off. I figure I'm within ~50lbs of what it'll weight though.

Total combined: 9200 lbs

Skin of the teeth kind of thing (see regulation at the top of this post). I could throw one or both set of tires/wheels and tools in the truck to make it work without issue. I don't have to have two sets of spare wheels either. The thought was rain and hard compound tires in conjunction with the super stickies.

I think this is workable. After towing the big tent trailer with the XJ I'm certain the MJ can deal with this load provided the bed is not light.

I don't have the owners manual for my truck and the door placard is all faded away. What is the gross vehicle weight rating for a 1988 SWB 4x4 Comanche? The number I used above is the curb weight plus the payload rating I found online. I've noticed other vehicles that I'm doing these calculations for have a the GVWR typically higher than those two numbers added together.

GVWR: 4551 according to the 88 dealership brochure.

:eek: 4551 GVWR :eek: . . . Oop's :wall: I have been well above this many many times :shake:

:ack: I have my MJ tagged for 6,000LBs, I have been grossing 6,300-7,100LB's on board it :doh:

Good thing the bumper is rotten so i ain't tempted to tow with it, I figured it was a 6K-LB truck i was told its a Midsized Rig rather a 1/2ton truck stuffed in a 1/4ton truck sized package . . .

Well given this new Info i am way more impressed with the workability of the MJ chassie, and way MORE impressed with the 2.5's ability to grunt a load . . .

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I've had ~3000 pounds of dirt in the back of my not MT MJ when I first got it. Riding 3.4 miles on the bump stops and arrived at home with a broken leaf in each rear spring. I was used to my full size Ford I had before, as well as my Suburban which could carry 5000 pounds of drywall without breaking much of a sweat.

Now when I get drywall I have some plywood inserts for the bed that are even with the top of the wheel wells, which limits me to 12 sheets at a time, which is only about 650 pounds in 1/2" 8 foot sheets.

I've had ~3000 pounds of dirt in the back of my not MT MJ when I first got it. Riding 3.4 miles on the bump stops and arrived at home with a broken leaf in each rear spring. I was used to my full size Ford I had before, as well as my Suburban which could carry 5000 pounds of drywall without breaking much of a sweat.

Now when I get drywall I have some plywood inserts for the bed that are even with the top of the wheel wells, which limits me to 12 sheets at a time, which is only about 650 pounds in 1/2" 8 foot sheets.

really you broke a leaf? wow that sucks ive hulled like 2500-3000 lbs of oak wood from a huge tree be for and it was easy, my truck just looked like a low rider :ack:

Brandon

Mine looked like a lowrider as well. I was towing a 1200 pound trailer with another 2000 pounds of dirt on it. Had no problem getting going, but I ran a stop sign at the bottom of a hill with the brake pedal on the floor...

Mine looked like a lowrider as well. I was towing a 1200 pound trailer with another 2000 pounds of dirt on it. Had no problem getting going, but I ran a stop sign at the bottom of a hill with the brake pedal on the floor...

:doh: well thats just not good.

Brandon

really you broke a leaf? wow that sucks ive hulled like 2500-3000 lbs of oak wood from a huge tree be for and it was easy, my truck just looked like a low rider :ack:

Brandon

broken leafs are typically due to rust.

• 4 months later...

Yup I got a Shortbed 2WD I'm swapping the Metric ton axle and springs/shocks under my truck but the lil'D35 n 2.5er will around 2,800lbs just fine.

My truck is:

AMC-150 I4 / AX-4 / D35-3.73s

I'm swapping to:

AMC-290 V8 / AX-15 / AMC-20-4.10s.

Should tow 3K-lbs or less just fine ;-)

Mike