removing shift knob

How in the H E double hockey sticks does the shift knob on a column shifter come off?

I've tried spinning it, yanking on it, shooting it with a bazooka, and screaming at it, but no luck. I've only gotten it off like 1/4 an inch so far :headpop:

There's a nut?!?
There should be. You screw the knob on first, all the way. Then you back it off so the logo is level. Then tighten the nut. Reverse the procedure to remove.

That's for a manual trans.

Automatic on the floor: Press button, pull up hard. I find it easier if I put it in 1 and pull towards me.

i think they used the same glue on the column shift knobs that they used to hold the heat shield on the space shuttle.... if you don't care about destroying the knob, a large pair of vise grips should work just fine..

I didn't have any problem with seeing the "column shifter" in your post.

Yes, they are glued on from the factory, in most cases, like the one's I have, there all loose, and your might have been at one time..........and the previous owner did the "epoxy" set for life to the end knob.

If you really need to take it off.........looks like you only have one choice.......destroy it.

But.........why do you need to remove it????? the column shifter is held in with a roller pin :dunno:

Why not?

Its ugly, out of date, and I have a nice one sitting around that I made

When why are you worried about destroying the old one, if you have a replacement :dunno:

:shake:

If you're pulling the shifter handle off the column for re-building the column, then the trim knob don't need to be removed.

Wow this thread has caused so much confusion. I am only trying to take the rubber ball off the end of the shifter. Hence The title "removing shift knob"

I Have no intentions of taking the shifter off.

I already started to rip the SHIFT KNOB off, I had no qualms with destroying it, was merely trying to find a way to take it off peacefully.

Any part can be destroyed

Mine was falling of when I got my truck so it was easy to remove there a metal ring on the shaft that makes a friction fit. I just carefly pounded a new one on from the help section at the parts store it fit tight and was chrome and black. I would think pulling and twisting would remove yours unless it was loose like mine and some one used good epoxy and glued it on. Good luck.